Shopify POS App SDK
Create powerful integrated app experiences for retail
The Shopify POS App SDK allows you to embed your web apps directly inside of Shopify POS as well as make use of native GUI features. You can create public apps for the Shopify App Store as well as private apps for the specific needs of your retail clients.
What can I do with Shopify POS SDK
Shopify POS lets you accept orders in person, swipe credit cards, and view your orders and products. With the Shopify POS App SDK you can extend or add new features to Shopify POS for the iPad. This opens up endless opportunities to augment Shopify POS with your own solutions for retail businesses.
There are four types of integrations with the POS SDK: full-screen apps, Add to Cart, Edit Cart, and Order Completion. Full screen apps are launched from the App Grid, which is accessed through the Apps button on the side navigation menu. All installed apps appear on the grid and become tappable buttons. The other three integrations make use of a specific UI element where you can integrate your app. You can find out more information on the four integrations below.
There are four different types of POS app integrations to build:
Full Screen Apps
- Apps in the App Grid can go full-screen with a webview, opening up mobile use cases for your web apps. Apps are accessed from the side drawer in the iPad app.
- All integrations must support an action on the App Grid, even if the primary use case is in the Edit Cart or Add to Cart actions. A few examples of App Grid use cases are:
- Support. Explain how users can get help
- Settings. Let users configure your app
- Dashboards and Reports. Let users see summarized information about your app.
Add to Cart Action
- With this integration you can select and group products together (gift baskets, kits), apply discounts to products, and capture product-specific information, such as monograms, notes (e.g. a thank you note in a gift basket) and other customizations. While the Edit Cart Action is used to modify the cart and it’s contents, the Add to Cart integration is used for selecting and modifying products before they’re added to the cart.
- The action is available via the add to cart action menu which is located in the bottom left corner of the app.
Edit Cart Action
- With this integration you can add customer information, create custom discounts (e.g. Buy One, Get One) and add properties to the cart. For example, a membership app could open a modal to enable searching for a member and adding that member to the order. You can also apply discounts, add line items and properties at a line item level.
- This action is available via the edit cart overflow menu which located in the top right corner of the app.
Order Complete Action
- With this integration you can access your app from the order complete action menu which is available once your order is finalized.
- You can use this integration to create apps that collect customer feedback, enable social sharing, print custom receipts, and more.
Where to get help
Visit our forums to connect with the community and find out more about the Shopify API and App development.
Developing Shopify Apps with the API? This is the place to talk to your peers.
Where merchants come to talk about apps.