Ad reporting for the Shopify App Store
You can view detailed reports for each of your search ads on the Ads page in your Partner Dashboard.
View a report
- Log in to your Partner Dashboard.
- Click Apps > Ads.
- Click the ad whose report you want to view.
Report metrics for search ads
Search Ad reports include the following metrics:
- Match type - Whether a keyword uses broad or exact matching. To learn more, refer to Keyword match types.
- Bid Per Click - The dollar amount that you pay each time a merchant clicks on your ad. Your bid price is entered in an auction to determine whether your ad will be shown based on the competition from other advertisers for the same keywords.
- Daily budget - The amount that you spend on the ad per day while it's active.
- Impressions - The number of times that your ad was shown in search results. Impressions are not unique to a viewer. This means that if someone searches twice in a row and your ad appears twice, then 2 impressions are counted for the ad.
- Clicks - The number of times that your ad was clicked. This excludes duplicates. One impression can result in only one click.
- Click through rate (CTR) - The total number of clicks divided by the total number of impressions.
- Installs - The number of installs attributed to your ad, based on last-click attribution for the past 30 days. To learn more about how this is calculated, refer to Install conversion attribution.
- Conversion rate - The number of installs divided by the total number of clicks on your ad. You can compare various ads' conversion rates independent of their click through rate performance.
- Cost per click (CPC) - The total cost divided by the number of times your ad was clicked.
- Cost per install - The total cost divided by the number of times your app was installed as attributed to the ad.
- Spend - The charges incurred from clicks to your ad.
How clicks are counted
In some cases, the way that clicks are processed can cause a given report for a period of time to change. This can happen in the following cases:
- Shopify has identified clicks from bots, which weren't filtered before. These clicks are removed retroactively, and the cost is credited back to advertisers.
An impression occurs, but the click takes place after the data processing window for clicks has closed. This click and its spend will be considered a click at the time of the impression event for reporting purposes.
For billing purposes, the click is billed for the cycle in which it occurs. This means that if an impression occurs in one billing cycle but the click occurs in the next billing cycle, then the click is billed in the later billing cycle.
Install conversion attribution
Search ads reports use an industry standard 30-day last-click conversion attribution. This means that an install is counted as a conversion for the ad only if the merchant installed your app within 30 days of clicking on your ad. In many cases, the merchant installs your app on the same day that they clicked your ad, but in some cases they install it later.
To view the keyword report, click an ad from the Ads* page in your Partner Dashboard. From there, you can sort the data in each column to analyze the performance of individual keywords.
For example, you can sort by cost per install to find the keywords that are costing you the most.
If certain keywords are consistently costing more than others, then you might choose to pause those keywords. You might also discover high-performing keywords that have a relatively low amount in the Cost per install column. For those keywords, you might want to increase your bid so that you can increase your ad's impressions.
Search term report
You can use the Search term report to optimize your ad by finding out exactly what search terms merchants are using when they see your ad. This report lets you review the search terms that matched your keywords, which can help you find new keywords to target. It can also help you find the search terms that you don’t want to target, which helps you better define your list of negative keywords.
Metric refresh frequencies
Your search ads reports are not generated in real time. They're updated according to the following schedule, depending on the type of metrics they include:
- Metrics based on impressions or clicks - updated hourly
- Metrics based on conversions - updated every 4 hours