What you get
The Embedded App SDK has a robust API that provides:
- Custom modal windows
- Top bar with buttons and breadcrumbs
- Flash messages (a.k.a. Toasts)
- Loading indicator
- Resource pickers for products and collections
Embed your app in the Shopify admin
First, follow the Getting Started guide to create a development store and an app.
By default, new apps will be embedded in the Shopify admin. If you need to turn on embedding for an app, follow these steps:
- From your Partner dashboard, click Apps.
- Click on the name of your app.
- From the app overview screen, click Extensions.
- Next to Embed in Shopify Admin, click Enable.
- Click Save at the top of the screen to confirm the changes to your app.
Once enabled, Shopify will attempt to load your app inside an iframe in the admin.
HTTPS, SSL Certificates and mixed content restrictions
The Shopify Admin uses HTTPS for all pages. Mixed content restrictions in web browsers requires all embedded applications to also run on HTTPS.
Publishing an embedded app in the Shopify App Store requires the app to have an SSL certificate. Failure to use SSL when running an embedded app will cause errors in web browsers, due to mixed content restrictions.
Web servers have the option of setting a response header of
X-Frame-Options: DENY, which causes the web browser to refuse to render that page if the content window is inside some kind of frame. Since all embedded applications are rendered inside an iframe, this option must be turned off on your web server.
Set up the EASDK in your app
To use the EASDK you must include
app.js in your page.