Shopify enables you to create powerful ecommerce solutions for a variety of scenarios, including integrating your service into the Shopify admin, customizing any website, and more. Get familiar with Shopify's developer products below.
Build an app
Build apps for more than Shopify merchants. See our Shopify apps Getting Started guide to get up-and-running quickly and make your first calls to the API. See our tutorial Build a Shopify app with Node and React to set up an embedded app using Shopify’s preferred technology stack.
Types of Shopify apps
Shopify’s APIs let developers integrate with the platform in a variety of ways. Depending on the purpose of your app, you’ll first need to choose whether it will be public or private. Public apps are meant for developers who want to distribute their apps to many merchants. Private apps are meant for developers building an app for a single merchant or a small group of clients. There are several important differences between the two types:
- Can be installed on multiple Shopify stores
- Can apply to be listed in the Shopify App Store (this is optional, and requires approval)
- Manage authentication with OAuth 2.0
- Are created in the Partner Dashboard
- Can use Shopify App Bridge to appear as an embedded app in the Shopify admin
- Can use app extensions to extend the Shopify admin UI
- Are created for a single Shopify store, or for a small group of clients
- Can’t be listed in the Shopify App Store
- Manage authentication with basic HTTP authentication
- Are created in the Shopify admin
Build embedded apps
You can use app extensions and embedded app libraries to extend the reach of your app and create seamless user experiences for merchants in Shopify.
Embedded App SDK
Embed your app directly inside of the Shopify admin.
Embed your web apps directly inside of Shopify POS.
Build custom storefronts
The Shopify API supports custom storefronts that let merchants sell anywhere, even outside of Shopify.
You can also use the iOS or Android Buy SDK to embed a Shopify store's products and checkout into your mobile apps. You get access to native mobile GUI elements powered by Shopify's commerce tools.
JS Buy SDK
Build commerce into any website.
Mobile Buy SDK
Integrate Shopify checkout into your mobile application.
Build apps using our APIs, available in both REST and GraphQL versions.