Editing custom metafield definitions
If you use custom metafield definitions, then you can make changes to the following information:
- metafield name
- validation rules
You might want to edit a custom metafield definition for the following reasons:
- to change the metafield name or description that's displayed on the corresponding pages in your Shopify admin
- to update the range of values that the metafield supports
For example, you might have a custom metafield definition that uses the number type integer and supports values between 1 and 5. If you want to add a value of 8 to the corresponding metafield on your product pages, then you need to edit the validation rules to increase the maximum value to 8.
Edit a custom metafield definition
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Metafields.
- Select the part of your store that you want to edit a metafield for. For example, Products.
- Click the metafield that you want to edit.
- Optional: In the Name field, edit the name for your definition.
- Optional: In the Description field, enter a new description for your metafield values.
- Optional: To allow apps, custom storefronts, and channels to access values for this metafield, select Give access to Storefront API requests.
- Optional: In the Validation section, configure the Additional rules to change the range of accepted values.
- Optional: Change whether the metafield is displayed on the corresponding pages in your Shopify admin by doing one of the following:
- To hide the metafield, click Definition pinned.
- To display the metafield, click Pin definition.
- Click Save.