Adding standard metafield definitions
Standard definitions are automatically configured for you, and are designed to be universally compatible across Shopify. Because standard metafield definitions follow standards that are used across all Shopify stores, they are supported by apps, themes, and other parts of your store. Some examples of standard definitions include product rating, time and date, and related products.
Whenever possible, use a standard definition for your metafields. For more information, refer to Shopify standard metafields.
Add a standard definition
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Metafields.
- Select the part of your store that you want to add a metafield to. For example, Products.
- Click Add definition.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your definition, and then select the name of a matching standard definition from the list.
- Review the details of the standard definition.
- Optional: If the standard definition doesn't match your metafield, click Change, and then select a different definition.
- Optional: To hide the metafield from the corresponding pages in your Shopify admin, click Definition pinned.
- Click Save.
Next steps after adding metafield definitions
After you add definitions for your metafields, you can do the following: