Adding standard metafield definitions
Standard definitions are automatically configured for you, and are designed to be universally compatible across Shopify. Because standard metafield definitions follow standards that are used across all Shopify stores, they are supported by apps, themes, and other parts of your store. Some examples of standard definitions include product rating, time and date, and related products.
Whenever possible, use a standard definition for your metafields. For more information, refer to Shopify standard metafields.
Add a standard definition
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Metafields.
- In the Manage metafields section, select the type of metafield that you want to add. For example, Product metafields.
- Click Add metafield definition.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your definition, and then select one of the following options:
- To select a standard definition, click the name of a suggested standard definition that matches the name that you entered.
- Optional: To display more options for standard definitions, select Explore more definitions.
- Review the details of the standard definition.
- Optional: If the standard definition doesn't match your metafield, click Change, and then select a different definition.
- Optional: In the Description field, enter a description for your metafield.
- Click Save.
After you add definitions for your metafields, you can do the following: