Marketing automation campaigns
In the Shop sales channel, you can offer different marketing automation campaigns. For example, you can create a post-purchase offer that gives returning customers an in-app discount that they can use at your store.
Post-purchase offer automation
If you have the Shop channel installed in your Shopify store and have the Shopping setting enabled, then you can offer an in-app discount to customers who've previously made a purchase from your store that they can use in the Shop app.
The discount appears in the Shop app until:
- All of the discount code conditions are fulfilled, such as a limit to one use per customer.
- The discount code has expired or was deleted.
- The automation was disabled or deleted.
Available discounts you can offer customers include:
- Free shipping
- Fixed amount
When creating conditions for your discount, you can't restrict the discount code to apply only to specific customers, groups of customers, collections, or products.
Create a post-purchase offer automation
To create a post-purchase offer automation, you need to enable the automation with a discount code. For the most accurate tracking information, you should create a discount code that'll only be used for one post-purchase offer automation. You can change the discount code at any time while the automation is active.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Sales channels > Shop.
- In the Overview section, click Create automation.
- Complete one of the following:
- If you don't have a discount code set up, then click Create a discount code.
- If you want to use an existing discount code, then in the Discount section, click Browse and then select the discount code you want to use.
- Optional: To avoid image cropping, use a banner image that is 933 by 480 pixels, and that it doesn't include the code in the message.
- Click Publish. If you want to save a draft, then click Finish later.
After an automation is created, you can use the Shop channel to view performance metrics. These metrics are displayed on a 30-day ongoing basis and include information about:
- Who received the offer.
- The number of orders made using the discount code.
- The number of sales associated with the offer.
These metrics can't be accessed from the marketing section of your Shopify admin.
Edit, disable or delete an existing post-purchase discount code
After you create a post-purchase offer automation, you can edit, disable, or delete the automation.
If you disable or delete the post-purchase offer automation while there is an active discount code that hasn't been used by a customer, then the customer can still use the discount unless you go into the Shopify admin and delete the discount code.
If you delete an automation, then you're also resetting the performance metrics.
Paused post-purchase offer automations
A post-purchase offer automation is automatically paused if any of the following occur:
- The discount code has been deleted.
- The discount code has expired.
- An unsupported discount type is selected.
- You don't meet the merchant requirements.
If your post-purchase offer campaign is paused, then you'll receive an email asking you to create a new discount code to add to the automation in the Shop Channel.