Buying a domain from Shopify
If you want to buy a new domain for your Shopify store, then you can buy a domain through Shopify to simplify the setup process. When you buy a custom domain through Shopify, your domain settings are automatically configured for you.
Custom domains purchased through Shopify start at $11 USD per year. The exact pricing depends on which top-level domain (TLD) extension you choose, such as
.net. You can check the price and availability of your domain by using Shopify's domain name generator.
Custom domains purchased through Shopify are registered for one year, and can be renewed annually. If you close your store or leave Shopify, then you can choose one of the following options:
- transfer your custom domain to a different Shopify store
- transfer your custom domain to another domain registrar.
Domain purchases are non-refundable.
Buy a domain from Shopify
To buy a domain from Shopify, follow these steps:
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
- Click Buy new domain.
- Enter the domain name that you want to buy.
- Available extensions and their prices will be listed. Extension options include common extensions (such as
.biz), country extensions (such as
.co.uk), and unique extensions (such as
.blackfriday). Prices vary, so review the options carefully.
- Click Buy next to the domain that you want to buy.
- Review the purchase summary:
- Review the personal information. By default, the Shopify store owner's email and information are used to purchase and renew domains.
- Check Auto-renew this domain every year if you want your domain to be automatically renewed for you before it expires.
- Confirm whether this domain offers WHOIS Privacy. WHOIS lets people look up information about the owner of a domain name. WHOIS Privacy is a service that hides your information from a WHOIS lookup, keeping your personal contact information hidden from public domain registration records. If the domain name that you enter offers WHOIS privacy, then a message is displayed that the domain includes WHOIS privacy. If you don't receive this message and you want WHOIS privacy on your domain, then click Cancel and select a different domain extension that isn't on the WHOIS Exceptions list.
- Read the ICANN policy and the Domain Registration Agreement.
- Click Buy domain when you are satisfied with your domain selection. You'll receive an email from Shopify confirming your purchase. It can take up to 48 hours for your new domain to start working.
- Verify your email address. After you buy your domain, you'll receive a verification email asking you to verify your email address. If you don't receive a verification email, then check your email's spam folder or resend the verification email from your Shopify admin. If you don't verify your email address, then your domain might be suspended.
WHOIS is a service you can use to look up information about the owner of a domain name. WHOIS privacy is a service that hides your domain information from a WHOIS lookup. WHOIS privacy keeps your personal contact information hidden from the public.
The following top-level domains don't include WHOIS privacy when you purchase a domain through Shopify.
After you purchase your domain, you can: