Marketing activity reports
If you use apps for your marketing, then the marketing activity reports can give you insight into how well your marketing is doing.
The marketing activity reports give detailed analytics on conversions, such as the conversion rate, average order value, top products sold, and more. The reports give you the information that you need to follow and measure the success of your marketing activities that use services such as MailChimp, Buzzfeed, Facebook, and Instagram. The reports are available for both one-time initiatives, such as an email or newsletter, and ongoing programs, such as a loyalty program or long-running ad.
The results shown in the reports depend on the marketing app that's sending the data to Shopify. For a list of all the apps that you can use, see the integrated marketing apps on the Shopify App Store. For the data to show up in the marketing activity reports, you need to use one of these apps, which use UTM parameters. For details on setting up your marketing activities, see the documentation for your particular app.
For example, suppose you use the MailChimp for Shopify app to send a promotional email to some of your customers. Some of your customers click the link that is in the email and order various products. The data from these interactions is shown in a marketing activity report.
View marketing activity reports
To view a marketing activity report from the Home page of your Shopify admin, click the link, such as in this example:
From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
Click an order number.
On the order page, in the Conversion summary section, click View conversion details.
In the Conversion details window, click View full visit.
In the Visit details window, click View campaign, as in the following example:
Data in the marketing activity reports
By analyzing your reports, you can determine the success of your marketing activities in driving conversions. The data can also help show which activities are effective at driving traffic compared to sales volume. You can also get insight into who your marketing programs are popular with.
Values begin to appear in the reports within a few minutes of any customer activity.
The following data is shown in the reports:
- Average order value: Includes taxes, shipping, and discounts. Excludes gift cards.
- Average pages viewed: Total pageviews divided by marketing activity visits.
- Average visit duration: Total visit time in minutes divided by marketing activity visits.
- Conversion rate: Number of orders as a percentage of total visits to your store.
- Discount used: Shows the discount code that was used by the customer.
- New vs. returning customers: Compares the number of customers who visited for the first time to the number who visited more than once.
- Orders: Number of orders placed.
- Sales: Total sales from all marketing activities. Includes gross sales, shipping, and taxes. Excludes discounts and returns.
- Sales by location: Number of sales that originated from each country.
- Top customers by spend: Shows which of your customers placed the biggest orders.
- Top products by units sold: Shows which products have sold the most.
- Visits: Total sessions from all marketing activities. Includes new and returning visitors.
- Visits by location: Usually higher than "Sales by location" because not every visit results in a sale.
App-dependent features in the marketing activity reports
While you're viewing a marketing activity report, a few options are available depending on the app that was used:
- If you use an email marketing app, such as MailChimp, then you can view the email that a marketing activity report applies to by clicking View email.
- For some apps, you can click Manage to open the app and manage the marketing event.
For information on the apps that you can use for your marketing initiatives, see the integrated marketing apps on the App Store.