Require phone numbers for PayPal Express Checkout orders
If you use PayPal Express, then you might have noticed that the Shopify order details page does not contain the customer's phone number. If you have a PayPal business account, then you can require customer phone numbers from your PayPal account settings.
- Log in to your PayPal account at paypal.com.
- Click the gear icon and select Account Settings.
- Click Website payments.
- Beside Website preferences, click Update.
- In Contact telephone number, choose an option for Contact telephone:
- On (Optional Field) - adds the phone number field to your checkout but it is not required for checking out.
- On (Required Field) - requires that your customer enter their phone number when checking out.
- Off - removes the field completely.
Requiring a phone number on checkout usually decreases conversions and sales. Many people don't like to give out contact information. Unless you absolutely need the phone number, you should choose On (Optional Field).