Signing up for Handshake
To access product wholesale prices, contact suppliers, and order products on the Handshake marketplace you need to sign up for a Handshake retailer account. When you sign up for a Handshake retailer account you need to provide valid business information and your contact details.
Requirements for a Handshake retailer account
To sign up for a Handshake account, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Your business needs to be located in the United States.
- You need to have an open online store, brick and mortar store, pop-up store, or booth located in the US.
- You need a valid reseller ID, or a valid reason for not having one.
- You don't sell on third party marketplaces, such as Amazon, Etsy, and eBay
- The products that you sell in your store need to comply with the Handshake Terms of Service
When you sign up, you need to provide accurate information. If you're missing or have entered incorrect business information, then your Handshake account might not be approved or can be subject to deactivation.
When you sign up with Handshake, you need to provide a reseller ID. The reseller ID is sometimes referred to as a reseller's license, reseller's permit, resale certificate, or sales tax ID in some US states. A reseller ID licenses you to buy wholesale products without paying sales tax, resell products, and collect sales tax from customers. Suppliers are legally required to check if you need to pay sales tax for wholesale purchases.
If you don't have a reseller ID, then refer to your local tax regulations about the requirements and the process to get one. These requirements can vary by region, and the following states don't issue reseller IDs:
- New Hampshire
If you live in one of these states, then write N/A in my state in the Reseller ID field.
Deactivated Handshake retailer account
When your Handshake account is deactivated you receive an error message when trying to sign in. There are several reasons why your Handshake account might get deactivated:
- You didn’t meet the Handshake retailer requirements.
- You violated Handshake Terms of Service
- Suspicious activity was detected on your account.
- You provided incorrect or not enough information about your business.
If you believe your account was deactivated by mistake, then reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Create your Handshake retailer account
- Go to handshake.com.
- Click Sign up.
- Enter your email address, and then click Get started.
- Connect a Shopify account:
- If you have a Shopify account, then log into your Shopify account.
- If you don't have a Shopify account, then follow the prompts to create one:
- Click Create new account.
- Complete the Shopify account registration form.
- Click Create Shopify ID.
- Enter your business information, business address, and contact information. Make sure that the information is correct, because you can't change it after you create your account.
- Click Create account.