Setting up the Facebook Marketing app in Shopify
Before you create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to install the Facebook Marketing app so that you can set up your Facebook ad account with a custom audience for your campaigns. When you're ready to create a Facebook ad campaign, you can set everything up from the Marketing section in your Shopify admin.
When you buy Facebook ads, you pay for them through your Facebook ad account. Make sure you understand the Facebook Advertising Policies before you create a Facebook ad campaign.
Authorizing the Facebook Marketing app for your Facebook account
When you set up the Facebook Marketing app in Shopify, you authorize the app to access a Facebook Page for your business as well as a Facebook ad account. The Facebook Page might connect to your personal Facebook account, but Shopify uses your personal Facebook account information only to access the Facebook Page and the Ads Manager account.
Basic requirements for the Facebook Marketing app
Before you can create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to set up the following:
- A published Facebook Page for your business. If you don't have a Facebook Page for your business, then you can set one up when you're setting up the Facebook Marketing app. Learn more about Facebook Pages from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
- A Facebook ad account set up with your payment information. Learn more about ad accounts from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
A Facebook Business Manager connected to both your business's Facebook Page and an ad account that has an admin role for the Business Manager. If you don't have a Business Manager, then you can set one up when you're setting up the Facebook Marketing app. Learn more about Business Manager from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
Facebook Business Manager is a tool that you can use to organize and manage your business Pages and ad accounts in one place. If you're using a personal ad account, then you need to have used it to run ads in the past before you can connect it to a Business Manager. If you've never run ads with your personal ad account, then you need to create a new ad account inside Business Manager to use the Facebook Marketing app to create Facebook ad campaigns.
Understanding roles and permissions on Facebook
On Facebook, you need an admin role for a Page, Ad account, or Business Manager to have permission to access all of the settings and make certain kinds of changes. These roles are separate, which means that you need to make sure that you have admin permissions for each.
You can find an overview of Facebook roles and permissions and links to more resources on the Facebook Ads Help Center.
Set up the Facebook Marketing app and create a custom audience
In your Shopify admin, go to Marketing.
Click Create campaign, and then select Facebook carousel ad.
Click Set up Facebook Marketing to install the Facebook Marketing app.
From the Facebook Marketing app, connect your Facebook account, or create a new account:
- If you have a Facebook account, then click Connect account and follow the steps to sign in to your account and authorize the Facebook Marketing app.
- If you don't have a Facebook account, then click Create a new Facebook account, and follow the steps on Facebook to create the account.
In the Facebook Marketing settings, select a Facebook Page for your business, or click Create Business Page to create a new Facebook Page.
Confirm that the Facebook ad account selected in the ADS WILL BE BILLED TO THIS FACEBOOK AD ACCOUNT section is your preferred Ads Manager account, or else click Create ad account to create a new account.
In the Facebook Audiences section, select a country where you want to target your Facebook ads. Learn more about Facebook ad targeting.
Click Complete setup.
You need to view and accept Custom Audiences terms on Facebook before you can continue. Click View and accept terms to open a browser tab with the terms on Facebook, and then accept the terms.
Return to your original browser tab for the Facebook Marketing app in your Shopify admin, and then click Done to create the Facebook Ads audience and complete the Facebook Marketing app setup.
Facebook pixel and the Facebook Marketing app
When you set up the Facebook Marketing app, a Facebook pixel is added to your online store. The pixel uses advanced matching to track customer behavior on your store. You can disable advanced matching for Facebook pixel.
The Facebook pixel sends the following information about your customers to Facebook:
- first name
- last name
- email address
The customer data collected by the pixel is used to improve the custom audiences for the Facebook ads that you create in Shopify. You can learn more about advanced matching from Facebook Advertiser Help.
Telling your customers about Facebook pixel data collection
To protect the privacy of your customers, you can consider telling them that your store uses the Facebook pixel, and providing a link to Facebook's Data Policy.
Disable advanced matching for Facebook pixel
- Go to Apps > Facebook Marketing.
- In the Advanced matching section, click Disable.
Additional help from the Facebook Help Center
If you need help with troubleshooting your Facebook account setup, then see the following articles from the Facebook Help Center:
- To learn more about managing Facebook Page roles, see How do I manage roles for my Page?
- To learn more about changing permissions on your Facebook advertising account, see Ad Accounts and Permissions.
- To learn more about setting up a Facebook Business Manager, see Create a Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding a payment method to a Facebook ad account, see Managing payment methods in Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding or changing spending limits for your ad account, see Create, change, reset, or remove your account spending limit.