Setting up Shopify's Facebook channel for marketing
Before you can create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to set up the Facebook Marketing feature in the Facebook channel. After that is set-up, you can create Facebook ad campaigns from the Marketing section of your Shopify admin.
When you buy Facebook ads, you pay for them through your Facebook ad account. Make sure you understand the Facebook Advertising Policies before you create a Facebook ad campaign.
Authorizing the Facebook channel for your Facebook account
When you set up Shopify's Facebook channel, you authorize the app to access a Facebook Page for your business as well as a Facebook ad account and Facebook Business Manager. Facebook Business Manager is a tool that you can use to organize and manage all of your Facebook business accounts, like your Pages and ad accounts. The Facebook Page might connect to your personal Facebook account, but Shopify uses your personal Facebook account information only to access the Facebook Page, Ads Manager account, and Facebook Business Manager.
Before you can create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to set up a Facebook Business Manager that owns both your business's Facebook Page and an ad account.
If you have a personal ad account, then you need to connect it to a Business Manager. If you've never run ads with your personal ad account, then you need to create a new ad account inside Business Manager before you can create Facebook ad campaigns. Learn more about Business Manager and ad accounts from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
If you don't have a Business Manager, then you can set one up when you're setting up the Facebook channel.
Facebook Page settings
The following requirements need to be met on Facebook before you can connect your Facebook Page:
- Your Facebook account needs to have an admin role on the Page.
- The Facebook page needs to be published.
- You can be an admin on multiple Facebook pages, and access them all using a single Facebook Business Manager. However, every Facebook business page can only be owned by a single Facebook Business Manager. You need to be the admin of both the Facebook Business Manager that owns a specific Facebook page and the Facebook page itself to connect it with the Facebook channel in Shopify.
Learn how to create a Facebook Page for your business at the Facebook help center.
Understanding roles and permissions on Facebook
On Facebook, you need an admin role for a Page and Business Manager before you can access all of Facebook's settings and make certain changes. Pages and Business Managers have separate account permissions, which means that you need admin roles for each one. The Business Manager that you select in the Facebook channel must be the owner of the Facebook page during onboarding. If the Facebook Page is owned by a different Business Manager, then the Facebook Page isn't listed as an option to connect. If you can't connect a desired Facebook Page, then check that the Facebook Business Manager you are connecting owns the Facebook page, or try connecting a different Business Manager.
You can find an overview of Facebook roles and permissions and links to more resources on the Facebook Help Center.
You also need to sell by using a Shopify online store, and your store can't be password protected. Learn how to remove your online store password.
Set up the Marketing feature in the Facebook channel and create a custom audience
In Shopify, go to Marketing.
Click Create campaign, and then select Facebook audience building ad.
Click Set up Facebook to install the Facebook channel.
Click Set up on the Facebook Marketing section of the Facebook channel.
Connect your Facebook account, or create a new account:
- If you have a Facebook account, then click Connect and follow the steps to sign in to your account and authorize the Facebook channel.
- If you don't have a Facebook account, then click Create new, and then follow the steps on Facebook to create the account.
Connect a Business Manager, or click Create new and then follow the steps on Facebook to create a new Business Manager.
Connect a Facebook Ad Account, or click Create new and then follow the steps to create a new Ad Account.
Connect a Facebook Page for your business, or click Create new and follow the steps on Facebook to create a new Facebook Page.
Select your data sharing level and connect your pixel, or create a new pixel.
Select a Facebook target country where you want to target your Facebook ads. Learn more about Facebook ad targeting.
View and accept Facebook's terms.
Click on Finish setup.
You can now create Facebook ads and Facebook Page posts through the Marketing section in your Shopify admin. After your products have been approved by Facebook, you can create dynamic retargeting ads with the approved products.
Additional help from the Facebook Help Center
If you need help with troubleshooting your Facebook account setup, then see the following articles from the Facebook Help Center:
- To learn more about managing Facebook Page roles, see How do I manage roles for my Page?
- To learn more about changing permissions on your Facebook advertising account, see Ad Accounts and Permissions.
- To learn more about setting up a Facebook Business Manager, see Create a Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding a payment method to a Facebook ad account, see Managing payment methods in Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding or changing spending limits for your ad account, see Create, change, reset, or remove your account spending limit.