A printer is not essential for a Shopify POS system, because you can send all your receipts by email.
To print paper receipts, your retail setup needs to include the following items:
- Shopify POS on iPad or Android (refer to printer model for device compatibility)
- Shopify plan or higher
- a supported Star Micronics receipt printer.
Supported Star Micronics printer models
Supported receipt printer models are:
- Star Micronics TSP100IIILAN Android LAN receipt printer (model number: 39464910)
- Star Micronics TSP100IIIW Android WLAN receipt printer (model number: 39464710)
- Star Micronics TSP100III Bluetooth wireless receipt printer (model number: 39472110)
- Star Micronics TSP650II Bluetooth wireless receipt printer (model number: 39449871)
- Star Micronics TSP100III LAN receipt printer (model number: 39463110)
- Star Micronics TSP100III WLAN receipt printer (model number: 39464790)
- Star Micronics TSP100USB receipt printer (model number: 39461110)
Take care with model names
If you buy the USB or LAN receipt printer, then you might notice that the name is shown on the front of the printer as TSP100. This is no cause for concern, as the number isn't the name of the individual model, but of that whole range of Star Micronics printers.
If you want to confirm the exact model number of the printer that you have, look for a label that's typically fixed to the underside of the printer. This label shows the:
- model range (TSP100)
- serial number
- power rating
- model number (100IIILAN or 100USB).
Connect the printer cables
Two cables with slightly different connectors are supplied with a retail custom kit from Shopify. One cable connects the printer to the cash drawer, and the other connects the printer to your router. Take care to use the correct cable in each case.