Combining discounts in Shopify POS
Learn about the effects of applying more than one discount in the Shopify POS cart.
To learn more about combining discounts in the online Shopify checkout, refer to Combining discounts.
On this page
Combine percentage and monetary discounts
You can apply the following discounts:
- a percentage discount on a line item, on the cart, or on both.
- a monetary discount on a line item, on the cart, or on both.
- a combination of line-item discounts and one cart discount.
If you create a combination discount, then the monetary line-item discount is applied before the percentage cart discount, like this:
Original product price = 20.00
Monetary line-item discount = 5.00
Product price (less the monetary discount): 20.00 - 5.00 = 15.00
Percentage cart discount = 10%
Value of percentage discount: 15.00 x 0.1 = 1.50
Final product price (less all discounts): 15.00 - 1.50 = 13.50
Sell multiple quantities of a discounted item
If the cart contains multiple quantities of a product that attracts a monetary line-item discount, then the discount is applied only one time:
Product Price = (Quantity x Pre-discount price) - (Monetary discount)
If you want to honor a line-item discount multiple times, then you have two options:
- Calculate the sum of the discounts and use that figure as the line-item discount.
- Apply the discount as a percentage instead.