Learn about the effects of applying more than one discount in the cart.
Combine percentage and monetary discounts
You can apply the following discounts:
- a percentage discount on a line item, on the cart, or on both
- a monetary discount on a line item, on the cart, or on both
- a combination of line-item discounts and one cart discount.
If you create a combination discount, then the monetary line-item discount is applied before the percentage cart discount, like this:
Original product price = 20.00
Monetary line-item discount = 5.00
Product price (less the monetary discount): 20.00 - 5.00 = 15.00
Percentage cart discount = 10%
Value of percentage discount: 15.00 x 0.1 = 1.50
Final product price (less all discounts): 15.00 - 1.50 = 13.50
Sell multiple quantities of a discounted item
If the cart contains multiple quantities of a product that attracts a monetary line-item discount, then the discount is applied only once:
Product Price = (Quantity x Pre-discount price) - (Monetary discount)
If you want to honor a line-item discount multiple times, then you have two options:
- Calculate the sum of the discounts and use that figure as the line-item discount.
- Apply the discount as a percentage instead.