Submitting special projects
You can request a fulfillment center to do additional work on your shipments that goes beyond storing and shipping your products, such as attaching the barcodes to your products. To send a request, create a special project from the Shopify Fulfillment Network app in your Shopify admin.
You can request special projects for anything that goes beyond the normal work needed to process your inbound transfers and orders:
- product assembly
- product customization
- quality control
Your request for a special project is sent to a Merchant Experience Coordinator, who approves or rejects the request based on certain requirements.
Requirements for a special project
To schedule and estimate a special project, the Shopify Fulfillment Network team needs to know the details of the work being requested. Include photos and videos of processes to help ensure accuracy. Each special project, except for labeling, has a one-hour minimum. This means that if you submit a project that takes less than an hour, then you are still billed for one hour of work.
Each special project request must include the following:
- all SKUs involved
- all non-SKU supplies required
- detailed assembly instructions (photos and videos if required)
- quantities required
- due date of the project
- if applicable, any related projects or inbound transfers
- if applicable, any new SKUs that would be created
- if applicable, preferred fulfillment center
Special project process
First, request the special project within the Shopify Fulfillment Network app in your Shopify admin. A Merchant Experience Coordinator will review your request within 48 hours.
If your request is approved, then it is listed in Special projects > Action required in your Shopify Fulfillment Network app. The request will have any time and cost estimates for you to review. After you accept, the project is sent to the fulfillment centers.
If your request is rejected, then it is listed in Special projects > Declined in your Shopify Fulfillment Network app. Possible reasons could include the following:
- lack of inventory
- request deemed outside capacity or skill for warehouse
- required tools or equipment is unavailable
Request a special project
When you request a project, make sure that you write highly detailed instructions for the project.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Apps > Shopify Fulfillment Network > Special projects.
- Click Request project.
- Select the project type, and then click Confirm project type.
- Enter a name for the project. If you chose an Assembly project, then in the Item field enter the SKUs of the products that require assembly.
- In Instructions, enter detailed instructions for your special project. Make sure that you include all the required information.
- Optional: Add any attachments, such as photos or videos, to the special project.
- Click Request project.