If your orders ship from multiple locations, or you plan to use Shopify Shipping to purchase shipping labels, then there are some extra settings to set up before you launch your Shopify store.
Add your shipping locations
By default, the original address that is entered when a Shopify account is created is added as a location. This location is also set to be able to fulfill orders.
Make sure that any other locations that you plan to ship from, as well as any apps that fulfill products on your behalf, are added as locations. For more information about locations, refer to Setting up your locations.
The shipping settings in your Shopify store include a default package that helps you charge more accurate shipping rates to your customers. You can change the default package dimensions in your shipping settings. If you use Shopify Shipping, then you can set a different default package when purchasing shipping labels.
Entering dimensions and weights for the types of packages that you typically send helps your calculated shipping rates to be more accurate. You can add as many additional packages as you want.
The default package is used to calculate shipping rates at checkout, but any saved package can be used when purchasing a label through Shopify Shipping.
If you have carrier-calculated shipping rates, then the default package's details are used by the carrier to determine the shipping rate to charge your customers during checkout. If you have weight-based rates, then the weight of the default package is added to the weight of the products being shipped to determine which weight-based rate to charge.
For example, suppose you have a default package weight of .1825 kg and you have the following weight-based shipping rates:
- 0 to 4.99 kg = $3 USD shipping rate
- 5 to 9.99 kg = $5 USD shipping rate
- 10 to 19.99 kg = $10 USD shipping rate
Suppose a customer purchases products that weigh a total of 4.9 kg. When the customer reaches your checkout, the default package weight of .1825 kg is added to the weight of the products. Because the products and default package have a combined weight of 5.0825 kg, the customer would be charged the $5 USD shipping rate instead of the $3 USD shipping rate.
If you don't want the default package weight to affect your weight-based or carrier-calculated shipping rates, then edit the default package and set the weight to
Edit your default package for calculations at checkout
You can set a default package to be used in calculating shipping costs at checkout.
If your store hasn't added a custom package yet, then you need to add a new package to create a new default package.
Your current default package displays the text This package is used to calculate shipping rates at checkout.
- In the Saved packages section, click Edit beside your default package.
- Adjust the package's settings.
- Click Save.
Edit your default package for purchasing Shopify Shipping labels
You can set your default package for Shopify Shipping to be a specific package, or to always be the last package that was used when you purchase a new label.
For example, Corben has created two packages for his products: a small box and an envelope. He has set his default shipping package for Shopify Shipping to be the last package that was used. When Corben fulfills his orders, he starts with all the orders that require an envelope. For the first order, he selects the envelope as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the envelope is the default package. When Corben switches to fulfilling the orders that require a small box, he selects the small box as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the small box is the default package.
To edit your default package settings, you need to have an order that requires a shipping label.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
- Click an unfulfilled order that requires a Shopify Shipping shipping label.
- Click Create shipping label.
- Optional: To add a new package that will become the default package, click Add package, enter the package details, and then click Add package.
- In the Package and weight section, click drop-down list, and then click Set default package.
- Select a method for determining the default package:
- To use the same default package every time you purchase a label, then select A specific package, and then choose the package from the drop-down menu.
- To change the default package based on the package used in the previous shipping label, then select Last used package.
- Click Save.
Add a package
You can save packages to use when fulfilling orders. If you purchase shipping labels through Shopify Shipping, then you can select which package to use for each label.
The first package that's created in your store becomes the default package.
In the Saved packages section, click Add package.
In the dialog, enter the required information about the package.
Some mail types have restrictions on the size of the packages that you can use to ship your products. A notice about applicable size restrictions appears on the dialog when you create a new saved package.
Optional: To make this package your default package, select Use this package to calculate rates at checkout. This setting is automatically enabled for the first package that's added to your store.
Click Add package.
Add USPS flat rate packaging
USPS flat rate packaging is available only to stores based in the United States.
Flat rate pricing is determined by the packaging that you choose, as long as the package weighs less than 70 lb. You are charged for the price of the flat rate box or envelope and not the weight of the package or the distance that it has to travel.
- In the Saved packages section, click Add package.
- In the dialog, click Carrier packaging.
- Select the proper flat rate package type from the list:
- USPS flat rate box - small (8.6 x 5.4 x 1.6 in)
- USPS flat rate box - medium (11 x 8.5 x 5.5 in)
- USPS flat rate box - medium shallow (11.9 x 3.4 x 13.6 in)
- USPS flat rate box - large (12 x 12 x 5.5 in)
- USPS flat rate box - large boardgame (23.7 x 11.8 x 3 in)
- USPS flat rate envelope (12.5 x 9.5 x 0.5 in)
- USPS flat rate envelope - legal (15 x 9.5 x 0.5 in)
- USPS flat rate envelope - padded (12.5 x 9.5 x 0.5 in)
- USPS regional box - a (10.1 x 7.1 x 5 in)
- USPS regional box - b (12.3 x 10.5 x 5.5 in)
- If you want to set this package as the default package, then select Use this package to calculate rates at checkout.
- Click Add package.
Edit a saved package
- In the Saved packages section, click Edit next to the package.
- Enter your changes, and then click Save.
Delete a saved package
If you no longer need a saved package in your shipping settings, then you can delete it. However, you can't delete your default package.
In the Packages section, click Edit next to the package.
Click Delete package, and then click Delete.