You can ask Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) to create preassembled kits with special packaging or handling for your products before you receive orders for your kits.
Preassembled kits require a special project to begin assembly work. Preassembled kits can include products that are sold separately, such as a T-shirt, or items that you don’t sell to customers, such as special packaging for multiple T-shirt kits. Preassembled kits are stored as kits in fulfillment centers until they are picked to fulfill orders.
The stock-keeping unit (SKU) for a kit is called the parent SKU, while the products within the kit are called child SKUs. Preassembled kits also have special packaging with separate packaging SKUs.
If you want SFN to create kits only after you receive an order, and you don’t need special packaging or handling for your kits, then you can ask SFN to create kits on demand.
Request preassembled kits
Before you request preassembled kits, your kits need to meet the following requirements:
- All of the kit's parent and child SKUs need to be products in the SFN app.
All SKUs need to meet SFN’s product criteria.
All packaging SKUs for the kit need to be products in the SFN app.
All child and packaging SKUs for the kit need to have available inventory stored in SFN.
After you set up your requirements, you can create a special project to ask SFN to preassemble your kits.
Adjust your preassembled kits
If you want to adjust your preassembled kits, then you need to remove the previous kit and create a new one. Before you adjust your preassembled kits, you need to set up the following requirements:
- Create a new product for the new parent SKU in your Shopify admin and in the SFN app. If you want most of the information to be the same, then you can duplicate your old kit product to create the new one.
- Set your old kit product to be unavailable on all sales channels to prevent your customers from purchasing it. If you want to continue selling the kit, then you can make your new kit product available on sales channels and do preorders before your new kit is assembled.
- If you still have open orders to fulfill with the kit that you want to adjust, then all of those orders must be fulfilled or cancelled. To cancel an order, click the order in the SFN app, and then click Cancel fulfillment.
After you set up your requirements, you can create a special project to ask SFN to adjust your preassembled kits. Make sure to include the following information in the Instructions of your request:
- The old and new parent SKUs.
- The child SKUs and their quantities to remove from the kit.
- The child SKUs and their quantities to add to the kit.