A new way of setting up Canadian taxes launched in January 2019. If you see a message to update your Canadian tax settings on your Taxes page, then you can update to the new way:
- If you're new to Shopify, then see Setting up Canadian taxes.
- If you already use Shopify, then see Updating to the new Canadian taxes feature.
If you charge sales taxes, then Shopify automatically sets the tax rates that apply in Canada. You can set up tax overrides for products that have special tax rates.
Shopify helps to simplify the procedures for charging sales taxes, but Shopify doesn't remit or file your taxes for you. We're able to help you make sure that you have the right settings for your business, once you know where you're responsible for charging taxes. It's your responsibility to check with the Canadian and provincial tax agencies or a tax professional to make sure that you charge your customers the correct sales tax rates, and to make sure you file and remit your taxes correctly.
For a summary of Canadian tax rules, see Canadian taxes reference.
In this section
- Setting up Canadian taxes
- Updating to the new Canadian taxes feature
- Managing your Canadian taxes
- Canadian taxes reference