Tax services with Avalara AvaTax
Avalara AvaTax is sales tax software that automates tax calculations and the tax filing process. Avalara provides real-time tax rates from more than 12,000 tax jurisdictions, while Shopify's tax calculations are based on tax registrations or on location.
If your store is on Shopify Plus and you have an Avalara AvaTax account, then you can activate Avalara AvaTax for your Shopify Plus plan. After Avalara Avatax is activated, you can charge taxes in your store using Avalara’s services instead of Shopify’s built-in tax engine. Avalara AvaTax also works on mobile devices.
You can use Avalara AvaTax to do the following:
- get accurate and up-to-date tax codes from more than 12,000 jurisdictions
- set tax rules to meet your business’s needs
- set tax rules per product
- create accurate reports of your business’s taxes
If Avalara isn't included in your plan and you want to add it, then contact Shopify Plus Support.
The service that is used to calculate your taxes might vary, depending on the channels that you use for sales and your setup with third-party services. To determine which service was used to calculate the taxes on a specific order, open the order from the Orders page in your Shopify admin, and then locate the Tax line in the Paid section.
- If the tax on the order was calculated by a third-party service, such as Facebook or Avalara, then a tooltip (ⓘ) is displayed next to Tax. Hover over the tooltip to verify which service calculated the tax.
- If the tax on the order was calculated by Shopify, or if no tax is charged, then no tooltip appears.