Troubleshooting logging in with two-step authentication
This page was printed on Mar 26, 2023. For the current version, visit https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/your-account/account-security/two-step-authentication/two-step-troubleshoot.
You might discover that you can't log in to your account because of one of the following reasons:
- you don't have your mobile device
- the authentication methods that you set up aren't available
- you are locked out of your account
In any of these cases, you can access your account using alternate methods.
Logging in using recovery codes
When you activate two-step authentication, 10 recovery codes are generated for you to use when you log in in case all other methods of authentication fail or if your mobile device isn't available. Each recovery code can only be used once.
Make sure that you save your recovery codes and store them in a safe place that you can access in multiple ways, such as from your mobile device, your desktop computer, and from a printed document.
Getting help if you're locked out of your account
If you don't have access to your mobile device, your backup devices, or your recovery codes, then you might become locked out of your account.
- If you're the store owner, then you need to wait one hour before trying to log in again. If you think that your store has been maliciously taken over, then contact Shopify Support right away.
- If you're a staff member and you've set up a Shopify ID, then contact our support team for help.