When you have several people accessing your Shopify admin, it's a good idea to have staff permissions set up for each person. You can set staff permissions to let other people access your Shopify admin, without giving them access to sensitive information. Having staff can also help you to keep track of recent changes and events on your store's timeline.
The number of staff members you can create is determined by your Shopify pricing plan:
- The Shopify Lite plan includes 1 staff member.
- The Basic Shopify plan includes 2 staff members.
- The Shopify plan includes 5 staff members.
- The Advanced Shopify plan includes 15 staff members.
- The Shopify Plus plan includes unlimited staff members.
A staff member can have one of the following levels of permissions:
Owner permissions - Allows unlimited access to a Shopify store. The staff member can manage the account and the financial information for the store.
There can only be one store owner at a time. By default, this is the person that originally opened the Shopify store.
Full permissions - Allows access to all sections of a Shopify store, apart from sensitive account or financial information.
Limited permissions - Restricts a user to specified sections of your store. When you restrict a staff member from a section of the admin, they still see it in the sidebar of the admin, but they can't click or view any part of that section. For example, if you restrict a staff member from accessing your Settings page, then you also restrict them from accessing the shipping and the tax settings.
The reasons for using limited permissions for staff will be different for each store. For example, you might want to use staff permissions in the following cases:
- You don't want staff members to see any of your sales information, such as sales by month or sales by staff on the Reports page.
- You don't want staff members to access any sensitive apps that might affect your business on the Apps page.
- You don't want staff members to change any of your general store settings, such as your store address or your credit card information on the Settings page.
Store owners can give staff permissions to log in to Shopify admin, but they can't edit their details.