Creating development stores
As a Shopify Partner, you can create an unlimited number of development stores. A development store is a free Shopify account that comes with a few limitations. You can use a development store as a portfolio site for your business, to test any themes or apps that you create, or to set up a Shopify account for a client. Setting up a development store and handing it off to a client gives you a monthly recurring revenue share.
Features and limitations of development stores
Development stores include most of the features that are available on the Advanced Shopify plan.
You can do the following while building and testing a development store:
- Process an unlimited number of test orders (for example, by using the bogus gateway or the REST Admin API)
- Process up to 50 non-test orders (for example, by completing a purchase through the online store using an active payment gateway)
- Create an unlimited number of unique products
- Create up to 10 private apps
- Assign a custom domain
However, there are some things that you can't do with a development store until you switch it to a paid plan, such as:
- Install paid apps (except for a selection of partner-friendly apps)
When you create a development store, you have the option to enable a developer preview. A developer preview gives you early access to new features of Shopify so that you can build and test your apps against upcoming features before they're released to merchants.
A development store with a developer preview enabled includes all the features that are available on the Advanced Shopify plan, but the store can't be transferred to another owner or transitioned to a paid plan.
Create a development store
Before you can create a development store, you need to have a Shopify Partner account.
- Log in to your Partner Dashboard.
- Click Stores.
- Click Add store.
- In the Store type section, select Development store.
- In the Login information section, enter a name for your store and a password that you can use to log in. By default, the email associated with your Partner Dashboard is used as the username, but you can change that if you want.
- Optional: Enable a developer preview by checking Create a non-transferrable store that uses a developer preview. Select a developer preview version from the drop-down list.
- Optional: In the Store purpose section, select a reason why you're creating this development store.
- Click Save.