Creating development stores
As a Shopify Partner, you can create an unlimited number of development stores. A development store is a free Shopify account that comes with a couple of limitations. You can use a development store as a portfolio site for your business, to test any themes or apps that you create, or to set up a Shopify account for a client. Setting up a development store and handing it off to a client gives you a monthly recurring revenue share.
Features and limitations of development stores
Development stores include most of the features that are available on the Advanced Shopify plan.
You can do the following while building and testing a development store:
- Process an unlimited number of test orders (for example, by using the bogus gateway or the REST Admin API)
- Process up to 50 non-test orders (for example, by completing a purchase through the online store using an active payment gateway)
- Create an unlimited number of unique products
- Create up to 10 private apps
- Assign a custom domain
However, there are some things that you can't do with a development store until you switch it to a paid plan, such as:
- Install paid apps (except for a selection of partner-friendly apps)
Create a development store
Before you can create a development store, you need to have a Shopify Partner account.
To create a development store:
Log in to your partner account.
Click Development stores.
Click Create store.
Finish as much development work as possible before you switch a development store to a paid plan.