Receiving jobs and communicating with merchants
After you have a published profile and have set up at least one service, you're eligible to start receiving jobs.
Types of jobs
There are a few different ways that you can receive jobs through the Experts Marketplace:
Matches - Merchants describe their job requirements, and the job is sent to multiple partners who are selected by the matching algorithm.
Direct requests - Merchants find your profile in the Experts Marketplace and send you a job request directly.
Prospective merchant contacts - Prospective merchants who haven't created a store can contact you in two ways:
- They can find your profile in the Experts Marketplace and contact you directly.
- They can describe their requirements in a prospective merchant lead form and then be matched with you by the matching algorithm.
In the first two cases, you receive the job in the Services > Jobs section of your Partner Dashboard. Each job describes the service that the merchant is looking for, their specific requirements, their business information, and their priorities with respect to time, cost, and quality.
If a prospective merchant contacts you, or you're matched with them through the prospective merchant lead form, then you receive an email message with their contact details. These jobs do not appear in the Services > Jobs section of your Partner Dashboard.
If the prospective merchant is a matched lead, then keep these best practices in mind when communicating with them.
Responding to merchants
You can begin a conversation with merchants directly from the Partner Dashboard. When responding to a merchant for the first time, be sure to use the details of their job to respond in a personalized manner. For jobs received through matching, the merchant will not know you were matched until they hear from you. As such, be sure to use the opportunity to set a good first impression.
Responding to leads from prospective merchants
If you're available to receive jobs through the Experts Marketplace, then you might be matched to a prospective merchant who needs help setting up their store. Merchants can request help through the prospective merchant lead form. These matches are sent to you through email. You won't be able to communicate with these prospective merchants through the Experts Marketplace, but you’ll be able to request a review for the work you do for them through your Partner Dashboard.
Keep the following best practices in mind when communicating with these prospective merchants:
- Try to respond within a few hours.
- Keep in mind that the prospective merchant has not seen your name before. Your reply email will include a link to your Experts profile, but you should introduce yourself, and provide context on the work you do.
- Messages from prospective merchants are sent to multiple experts. To avoid overwhelming the sender with follow-up emails, consider reducing the number of messages you send before hearing back.
- The sender might not know a lot about Shopify or ecommerce in general. This is an opportunity to educate them on the steps for starting or moving their business online.
We understand that sometimes a particular job is not a good fit for you. When that happens, you can decline the job. You can decline a job at any point, but we recommend doing so as soon as you know that you’re not the right fit. This allows the merchant to proceed with another Expert, and still maintain a good impression of you.
In addition, our matching and ranking algorithms will take note of the types of jobs you commonly decline, to help us better match you to the right merchants.
You have up to 72 hours to either send your first response to the merchant, or decline the job. After 72 hours the job expires and you’ll no longer be able to respond. Letting too many jobs expire will negatively affect your ranking and matching. If you are going on vacation, you can set yourself as being unavailable in your job settings.
In addition to specifying the services you provide and their pricing, there are a few preferences available for you to better manage the type of jobs you receive. You can specify the following preferences:
- Whether you are available for work and can be contacted from your Expert profile
- Whether you want to appear in marketplace search results and be matched with clients
- Whether you want to work with dropshippers
- The email where you receive job notifications
To update your job preferences, go to your Jobs page and click Edit preferences.
You can manage and view the status of your jobs from the Partner Dashboard. Your jobs can be in one of the following states:
- New - A new job you have not yet opened.
- Opened - A new job you have opened, but not responded to.
- Declined - A job you or the merchant has declined.
- Expired - A job that has expired after 72 hours with no Expert response. Expired jobs can’t be acted upon.
- Responded - A job that is waiting for the merchant to respond to your last message.
- Awaiting response - A job where the merchant is waiting for you to respond to their last message.
- Inactive - A job you have marked as inactive. You can continue to message the merchant through this job if you wish to.
- Completed - A job you have marked as completed. See more about completing jobs and collecting reviews.
You can search for jobs based on merchant name, job details or notes. You can also make internal notes on a job to help you coordinate jobs within your team.
Getting access to merchant stores
You can use collaborator accounts to access a merchant’s store directly through your own Partner Dashboard. Out of respect for merchant’s privacy, be sure to only request access after merchant has understood and agreed to receiving the request.