Testing Shopify Payments
Shopify Payments is available only to stores in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Australia. It is not available to US territories except Puerto Rico.
Enable test mode
To test the setup and configuration of your Shopify Payments gateway:
From your Shopify admin, click Settings, then click Payments (or press
In the Accept payments section, find Shopify Payments and click Edit.
Check the box to place Shopify Payments in test mode.
Valid credit cards are not accepted in test mode. You must switch out of test mode (uncheck the box) before performing a real transaction.
Shopify Payments will show a black and yellow striped band, indicating the gateway is in test mode.
Navigate to your website and place an order as a customer would, then proceed to checkout so that you can test the gateway for a variety of transactions.
You must deactivate test mode in order for customers to successfully pay for their order via credit card.
Simulate successful transactions
Did you know?
Simulated transactions will not show on your payouts menu or reports.
To simulate a successful transaction, use the following information when you are asked for credit card details during checkout:
- Name on card: Enter at least two words.
- Expiry date: Enter any date in the future.
- CVV: Enter any three digits.
- Card number: Use the following numbers:
Simulate failed transactions
If you want to see the credit card error messages that might be displayed to a customer during checkout, you can simulate a number of different failed transactions:
- Use credit card number 4000000000000002 to generate a card declined message.
- Use credit card number 4242424242424241 to generate an incorrect number message.
- Use credit card number 4000000000000259 to simulate a disputed transaction.
- Use an invalid expiry month, for example 13, to generate an invalid expiry month message.
- Use an expiry year in the past to generate an invalid expiry year message.
- Use a two-digit CVV number to generate an invalid CVV message.