PayPal Seller Protection
If your customers use PayPal as a payment method, then you might be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. Seller Protection protects you from chargebacks, reversals, and claims for the full amount on eligible payments due to an unauthorized transaction or an item not received. Orders purchased through PayPal will have one of three Seller Protection ratings:
- Eligible: the order is protected by PayPal's Seller Protection for unauthorized payments and items not received.
- Partially eligible: the order is protected by Seller Protection for item not received.
- Ineligible: the order is not protected by Seller Protection.
PayPal Seller Protection is not managed by Shopify. If you're having issues with a PayPal transaction, then you should contact PayPal. Shopify is unable to manage or access your PayPal account.
To be eligible for Seller Protection, you need to meet all the basic requirements, as well as additional requirements for items not received and unauthorized transactions.
- The item must be a physical good that can be shipped.
- The item must be shipped to the same address that appears on the transaction and order pages under Shipping address.
- You must respond to Paypal's request for documentation or other information promptly.
- Your store must be based in the United States.
These criteria are specific to the United States. Check your locations's PayPal User Agreement for eligibility criteria outside the United States.
Item not received additional requirements
- The payment must be rated as Eligible or Partially eligible on the transaction page for chargebacks.
- You must provide proof of delivery.
PayPal recommends shipping the item within 7 days of payment receipt. If the payment is for a pre-ordered item, then you need to ship within the timeframe that you specified in the item listing.
Unauthorized transactions additional requirements
- The payment must be rated as Eligible on the transaction page.
- You must provide proof of shipment or delivery for the item.
Items not covered by PayPal Seller Protection
PayPal provides a detailed list of items and transactions that aren't covered by Seller Protection for the United States. If you're outside of those countries, then check your locations's PayPal User Agreement for a list of items that aren't covered by Seller Protection.
If you're having issues with a PayPal transaction, then you should contact PayPal. Shopify is unable to manage or access your PayPal account. Make sure to familiarize yourself with PayPal's location-specific User Agreement before contacting them.