If you're using Shopify POS for iPad with the retail package, then you can use the all-in-one Star mPOP—a receipt printer with an integrated cash drawer and optional USB barcode scanner. You can also use a Heckler Windfall iPad stand with the mPOP by adding the Heckler PopTop mounting table.
Where to buy the mPOP
The mPOP is also available from third-party retailers around the world.
Pair the mPOP with your iPad
You need to pair the mPOP with your iPad only once, and then the cash drawer, receipt printer, and barcode scanner will all work with Shopify POS.
To pair the mPOP with your iPad:
Make sure that the printer is plugged into a power supply and turned on. If you have the USB barcode scanner, then make sure that it's plugged into the mPOP.
From your iPad's main settings, tap Bluetooth.
- Under OTHER DEVICES, tap the mPOP to pair it with your iPad: When the mPOP is paired and connected, it appears under MY DEVICES on the Bluetooth settings screen:
In Shopify POS, go to the Hardware settings screen and make sure that that the mPOP receipt printer appears under CONNECTED HARDWARE. If you have the barcode scanner, then it will appear separately on the same screen.
After the mPOP appears on the Hardware settings screen of the Shopify POS app, you can set it as the default printer (optional).
Unpair the mPOP and your iPad
The mPOP will automatically connect to the last device that it was paired with. If you want to use the mPOP with a different device, then you'll need to unpair the mPOP from your iPad.
To unpair the mPOP from your iPad:
- From your iPad's main settings, tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the ⓘ icon beside the mPOP:
- Tap Disconnect:
- Tap Forget this device.
- Tap OK to confirm that you want the iPad to forget the mPOP:
- In Shopify POS, you can remove the mPOP receipt printer and scanner from the Hardware settings screen by swiping each one left and then tapping Delete.
Manufacturer's user manual
For more information on setting up and using the mPOP, including how to install receipt paper, connect the Star scanner, and troubleshoot the mPOP, see the manufacturer's user manual.
Buying receipt paper for your mPOP printer
Any thermal paper rolls will work with the mPOP, if the paper meets the following specifications:
|Width||57.5mm ± 0.5mm|
|Thickness||Between 0.053 mm and 0.075 mm|
|Roll diameter||Up to 50 mm|
You can purchase receipt paper for the all-in-one Star mPOP from the Shopify Hardware Store.
Enable Auto Connection
If you buy your mPOP from somewhere other than the Shopify Hardware Store, or if you return the device to factory settings, then the Auto Connection option might be turned off. In this case, you'll need to manually connect the mPOP to your iPad whenever they become disconnected.
If the Auto Connection option is turned off, then you can use the mPOP Utility app to turn it on. After you turn on the option, the mPOP will automatically connect to the last iPad that it was paired with whenever both devices are turned on.
To enable automatic connection:
- Make sure that you've paired the mPOP with your iPad and that they're connected:
From your iPad, install and open the mPOP Utility app.
- From the mPOP Utility app, make sure that your mPOP is selected under Selected Device:
From the menu at the bottom of the screen, tap Setting.
- From the Setting screen, tap Bluetooth Settings:
Disable the New Pairing Permission option by tapping its toggle button.
- Enable the Auto Connection option by tapping its toggle button:
Tap Apply, and then tap Yes.
To apply the changes to your mPOP, turn it off and on again. The mPOP will now connect to your iPad automatically whenever they're both on and within range.
Supported barcode types
The Star barcode scanner supports the following 1D barcode types:
- Bookland EAN
- Code 11, 39, 93, 128
- Interleaved 2 of 5 (ITF)
- Industrial 2 of 5
- Matrix 2 of 5
- RSS (Limit, Stack, Expansion limit, Expansion stack)
- UPC/EAN (UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8)