Selling a gift card on Shopify POS (iPad only)
If you're on the Shopify plan or higher, then you can enable gift cards on your store, and they'll be automatically added to your product list.
Choose a gift card format
You can sell Shopify POS gift cards in any of these formats:
- a physical gift card
- an online gift card that you email to the customer
- a paper copy that you print from your receipt printer.
Sell a gift card on Shopify POS
1. From your Shopify POS products and cart screen, tap the gift card product. If you can't see the gift card product, try sending the Shopify POS app to run in the background and then restoring it.
2. Choose a preset value for the gift card from the drop-down menu, or create a Custom Amount:
3. If you're setting a custom value for the gift card, enter the amount into the box that displays, then tap Done or Add to Cart:
4. If you have enabled physical gift cards, then do one of the following, then tap Add to Cart:
- scan the card with the front-facing camera on your iPad
- use our supported 2D barcode scanner to scan the card's barcode (the 1D scanner won't work)
- enter the gift card's code number.
Did you know?
If you sell both physical and paper gift cards, then you need to assign a paper gift card code manually. All gift card codes must have at least eight digits.
5. The gift card product is added to the cart. Tap Total to continue to checkout:
6. Process the customer's payment, then tap Complete Order:
7. When the post-checkout screen appears, complete the sale of online or paper gift cards by doing one of the following:
- enter the customer's email and click Send
- tap Print Receipt and Gift Card to print a paper receipt if you have a printer installed:
When you exit this screen, you will not be able to retrieve the validation code for online gift cards. This is a security feature and prevents your gift cards from being exposed if your account is breached.
The gift card shows:
- the name of your store
- the monetary value of the card
- the validation code
- a two-dimensional barcode.
Physical gift cards from the Shopify Hardware Store carry pre-assigned numbers, but you can customize the rest of the design if required.
Refund the purchase of a gift card on Shopify POS
You can refund the purchase of a gift card from Shopify POS, but you must disable the card before you make the refund:
1. From your Shopify POS Orders screen, tap the order containing the purchase you want to refund.
2. Tap the gift card number, then tap Disable Gift Card. You'll need to tap again to confirm. You'll see a message when the gift card has been disabled:
3. Now tap Refund.
4. The full amount of the order is refunded by default. If you want to change the amount of the refund, tap Edit to enter a new refund total, then tap Done.
5. In the Refund Amount dialog, tap the refund amount next to a repayment method if you want to adjust it, then tap Confirm:
6. Tap Process . You'll see a confirmation message when the refund has been completed.