Wholesale account signup
Let your prospective customers sign up for wholesale store accounts and get immediate access to your wholesale store.
After you enable wholesale account signup, your customers can sign up for their own accounts on your wholesale store. Customers who sign up don't need to wait until they receive a wholesale invitation or have their account approved before they can access your wholesale store.
When you enable wholesale account signup, you choose the price list tags that these customers receive when they sign up. This lets you control the products and the prices that they see in your wholesale store. You can also set a minimum order amount and enable wholesale checkout for these customers.
Sign up options
You can set the following options for wholesale account signup:
- The price list tags that you want to automatically give to these wholesale account signup customers
- A minimum order amount that their orders must meet or exceed
- The ability to pay for some or all of their orders using wholesale checkout. When you enable this option, you can limit the amount that they can pay at checkout by setting a maximum order amount. Orders that exceed this amount are submitted as draft orders
Sign up workflowWhen you enable wholesale customer signup, a link to the sign-up form is added your store's login page:
After a prospective customer submits the sign-up form, the following events occur:
- The customer is added to your store and they are given the chosen price list tags as well as any wholesale account signup settings.
- A confirmation email is sent to the customer.
- The customer confirms their email and creates an account. They can now sign into your wholesale store and create orders.
- A notification email is sent to you to let you know that you have a new wholesale customer.
What if I want to review the applications before I give anyone access to my wholesale store?
There is no review process with wholesale account signup, but, you control the products and the prices that are initially available to these customers. And you can always log into your Shopify admin and review your customers and make changes as needed. For example, you could give the wholesale account signup customers a price list that contains a few sample products and then change the price list after you've reviewed their account. You can also require that these customers submit their orders for you to review instead of allowing them to pay for their orders at wholesale checkout.
I've already sent a customer an invite, can they still sign themselves up?
Yes. Your customer can ignore your invite and sign up for a wholesale store account by using the sign-up form. When the customer completes the sign up process, they will have the price list tags that you set for them (when you sent the original invite) as well as the default price list tags that you give to your customers who use wholesale account signup.
Can anyone sign up or do they have to be a customer in my store?
Anyone can sign up for your wholesale store. If the customer doesn't exist in your store, then a new customer is added to your Shopify admin and they are given the wholesale price list tags and settings.
What happens when existing customers sign up?
If an existing customer signs up for wholesale, then their customer profile in Shopify is updated with the wholesale price list tags and settings. If an existing wholesale customer tries to sign up, then then they will be prompted to sign in with their existing credentials.
A customer signed up for a wholesale account using an email address that is different from the one that I had in my Shopify. Now now I have duplicate customers in my Shopify store. Can I merge these customer entries?
You cannot merge customers in Shopify. You also cannot delete a customer who has an order (but you can delete them if they have only draft orders). If your new wholesale customer doesn't have an order, then you can delete that customer entry and ask your customer to sign up again.
If the customer has an order, then you could:
- Add a note to their customer profile and include a link to the duplicate customer entry.
- Rename the duplicate entry so that you don't mistakenly use it (for example, add zzzz to the beginning of the customer's last name).
- Ask the customer to sign up again.
How do I know when a new customer has signed up?
A notification email is sent to the wholesale store email address after a customer has completed the sign-up process and can log into your wholesale store.
Can I add more information and options to the sign up page?
No, you cannot. If you need a customized sign-up page, then consider creating your own wholesale account sign-up page. For example, you could create this page on your online store and direct customers to it.
Can I add a background image to the sign up page?
The customer sign-up page uses the same settings as your wholesale store login page. If you need a customized sign-up page, then consider creating your own sign-up page on your online store.
Can I add a link on the sign up page?
No, you cannot. If you need a customized sign-up page, then consider creating your own sign-up page on your online store.