Create wholesale customers
Create a wholesale customer by assigning them to a price list. After you've assigned them to a price list, you can create orders on their behalf. If you want them to sign into your wholesale store and create their own orders, then you must invite them to create wholesale store accounts.
Before you begin
You must have:
- a wholesale price list that has a tag associated with it.
- a customer. This customer should have an email address associated with their account. You will send an account invite to this email address. Later, when you process orders for this customer, you can use this email address to send them invoices.
Step 1: Assign customers to a price list
- From your Shopify admin, click Customers.
- Click the name of the customer that you want to invite to your wholesale store.
- On the customer information page, choose the tag that you associated with one of your wholesale price lists:
- When you're done, click Save.
If your customer doesn't need to sign into your wholesale store, then skip the next step. You can now create wholesale orders for your customer.
If your customer needs to sign into your wholesale store, then they need a wholesale store account. Go to the next step to invite them to create this account. If your customer has a wholesale store account, then they now have access to this price list when they sign into your wholesale store.
Step 2: Invite wholesale customers to your wholesale store
To invite customers to your wholesale store, you need to send them an invite link. Each invite link is generated for a particular customer. These links can't be shared or reused.
The easiest way to send invite links is to use the email inviter that is built-into the Wholesale channel. If you need to send more customized emails, then you can export the links to a CSV file and import them into an external email system. Both options are available as bulk actions on the Accounts page.
Your wholesale store is password-protected, so no one (including the Shopify account owner) can access it without a wholesale store account.
To invite a wholesale customer to the wholesale store:
- From your Shopify admin, click Wholesale.
- Click Accounts.
- Click the checkbox beside the name of the customer that you want to invite.
- Choose one of the following actions:
- To send an invite email, click Bulk actions and select Send invite:
- To export the invite link to a CSV file, click Bulk actions and select Export invite link.
After you invite a customer, their status is changed to Invited and they appear under the Invited tab on the Accounts page.
After your customer creates their account, their status is changed to Enabled and they appear under the Enabled tab on the Accounts page.