Supported label printers
Before you can buy shipping labels, you need to choose the label printer that you want to use. You can do this on the Shipping settings page in your Shopify admin. For best results, Shopify recommends using supported hardware to print your shipping labels. Shopify supports the following label printers:
Dymo LabelWriter 4XL
You can use the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL to print the shipping labels you buy in Shopify. It connects to your computer via USB. You can buy the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL at the Shopify Hardware Store.
To learn more about the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL printer, refer to Dymo's support page.
If you're using an Apple computer to print your shipping labels, then Shopify recommends the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL.
Installation and setup in Mac OSX
If you need help installing and setting up your Dymo printer, contact Dymo's support.
Before you can use the Dymo printer on Mac OS X, you need to download and install DYMO Label™ v8.6.1 drivers for Mac. To install the Dymo LabelWriter 4XL on your Apple computer:
Open your web browser.
Navigate to Dymo's website.
Click Support > Downloads: Software, Drivers & User Guides:
Click Download under the DYMO Label™ v8.6.1 for Mac section to download the drivers for your printer:
After the download is complete, open the
DLS8Setup.8.6.1.dmgfile to install Dymo's Label Software.
Follow the instructions in the installer.
Plug your printer in to your computer using the included USB cable, and connect its power adapter. After you turn on the printer, your computer will detect it automatically.
Installation and setup in Windows 10
To install the Dymo printer in Windows 10, plug your printer in to your computer using the included USB cable, and connect its power adapter. After you turn on the printer, your computer will detect it automatically and download the required device drivers.
To confirm that your printer has been installed:
Open your computer's Control panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
In the Printers & Scanners section, confirm that Dymo LabelWriter 4XL appears in the list of printers:
For best results, use the Zebra GC420d thermal printer to print the shipping labels you purchase in Shopify. It connects to your computer via USB, serial, or parallel ports.
To learn more about the Zebra GC420d printer, refer to Zebra's support page.
Installation and setup in Mac OS X
If you need help installing and setting up your Zebra printer, contact Zebra's support.
To install the CUPS driver:
- Open your web browser.
http://localhost:631/printers/into the URL field.
- If you receive a message that Web Interface is Disabled, then you must enable it. Start by copying the
cupsctl WebInterface=yescommand that's displayed in your browser.
- Open the Terminal application on your computer, and then paste the
cupsctl WebInterface=yescommand into the Terminal command line. When you're done, press Return.
- Click on your open browser, and refresh the Web Interface is Disabled page. It will display the CUPS page instead.
- From the CUPS page, click the Home tab.
- Click Adding Printers and Classes.
- In the Printers section, click Add Printer.
- If you're asked to enter a user ID and password, use the same credentials that you use to log-in to your computer. After you log in, the Administration page appears.
- If you've already turned on and plugged in your GC420d printer, it will appear as Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d (Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d) in the Local Printers section. If you haven't connected your printer yet, turn it on now, plug it into your computer using the included USB cable, and then refresh your browser.
- Select Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d (Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d), and then click Continue.
- Review the information on the Add Printer page, and then click Continue.
- From the Model menu, select Zebra ZPL Label Printer (en), and then click Add Printer.
Print a test page
If you're using Zebra GC420d, then make sure that you select 4 × 6 inch label for Zebra printers as your Label format on the Shipping settings page.
After you have installed the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) driver, you can print a test page:
- Open your web browser.
http://localhost:631/printers/into the URL field, and press Return.
- Click the name of the printer you want to test.
- From the Maintenance drop-down menu, select Print Test Page.
Installation and setup in Windows 7
If you're using a different version of Windows, then you might need to set up your printer differently.
To set up the Zebra printer in Windows 7:
- Turn on the label printer, and connect it to your computer using the included USB cable.
- After the printer is connected, your computer automatically downloads the require device drivers.
- Open your computer's Control panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Devices and Printers.
- In the Printers section, right click on ZDesigner GC420d:
- Click Printing preferences.
- On the Printing preferences dialog, find the Size section, and then enter 4.00 into the Width field and 6.00 into the Height field:
- Click OK.
Standard desktop printer
You can also use a standard desktop printer to print shipping labels that you buy through Shopify. To install your printer, follow the instructions that came along with it. If you need help installing your printer, then you can contact the support channels listed in your printer's instructions.
If you're using a standard desktop printer, then make sure that you select 8.5 × 11 inch paper for desktop printers as your Label format on the Shipping settings page.