Shopify Design Policy
With Shopify, it's easy to make basic design changes like picking new colors schemes and fonts, or adding a store logo. And if you're tech savvy or have some help from a Shopify Expert, it's possible to significantly change the look of your store.
We're happy to help with your basic theme setting customizations if you are on the Basic Shopify plan or higher and your theme is supported by Shopify. We offer one complimentary hour of design support. If you're planning on making large, extensive changes to your theme, then you should consider hiring a Shopify Expert instead.
If you are still interested in making changes, there are 3 ways to customize your Shopify store:
Edit theme options with the Customize theme page
- From your Shopify admin, click Online Store, and then click Themes (or press
From here you'll be able to adjust the appearance of your storefront by clicking on the Customize theme button.
For more detailed information, visit our guide on the Customize theme page.
Edit your theme's code
Your Shopify theme is extremely customizable. We recommend that you only edit your theme's code if you know HTML and CSS, and have a basic understanding of Liquid, Shopify's templating language.
You can teach yourself HTML, CSS and Liquid for this purpose, and customize your theme on your own. There any many HTML and CSS guides available on the internet, and Shopify's Liquid documentation includes most of what you need to know for templating.
If you choose to make significant changes to your store's theme, Shopify might not be able to offer you the kind of support you're used to. Please remember:
- Shopify can't support extensive design and customization related issues for your store, such as: theme customizations which require significant design work, feature additions, and changes to the way your store looks and feels.
- Shopify can't help with Liquid or support issues related to custom-designed stores.
- Shopify can't add social sharing buttons to your theme, or social icons that point to your Facebook and Twitter pages. Shopify themes are now required to have social sharing links or buttons, so you can easily pick a theme that comes with them already installed. You can also add them yourself .
While Shopify can't support your advanced theme customizations directly, there are many resources available:
- Shopify Forums: We have a supportive community of store owners and designers in our community forums that you can reach out to. It's best to be detailed when you ask a question, and to provide a link to your store. You can give back to the community as well by sharing your own ideas and code snippets.
- Shopify Help Center: The Customizing themes section has articles and theme customizations that might answer specific questions that you have.
- Shopify Experts: You can hire a Shopify Expert to do advanced customization work for you.
Hire a Shopify Expert
Shopify Experts are experienced industry professionals who have extensive knowledge about creating, updating, and perfecting Shopify stores. Shopify Design or Developer Experts can help you customize your theme, or do everything for you!
To find a designer or developer to customize your Shopify store, please visit our Shopify Experts directory.