Browser support requirements for themes in Shopify's Theme Store
All themes sold in Shopify's Theme Store need to support the desktop and mobile browsers detailed below. These requirements are based on real browser activity across the Shopify platform.
A theme's layout, browsing experience, and purchasing actions need to support the following browsers and releases:
- Safari - latest two releases for Mac
- Chrome - latest three releases for Mac and PC
- Firefox - latest three releases for Mac and PC
- Edge - latest two releases for PC
- Internet Explorer - IE 11 only for PC
- Mobile Safari - latest two releases for iOS
- Chrome Mobile - latest three releases for Android and iOS
- Samsung Internet - latest two releases for Android
Webviews and other applications
Themes must support browsing and purchasing actions when rendered in webviews for the following applications:
- Instagram - latest release for Android and iOS
- Facebook - latest release for Android and iOS
- Pinterest - latest release for Android and iOS
Variations between browsers
It is not a requirement that a theme looks and behaves identically across all supported browsers. Because the technology supported by browsers can vary, it is expected that websites will render differently for different browsers, as well as for different releases of the same browser. For example, support for the CSS Grid specification can vary between full support, partial support, or no support between a browser's releases.
A theme must offer a comparable user experience across all supported browsers. To this end, you are encouraged to practice progressive enhancement, a development approach that ensures basic functionality is compatible with all browsers before more advanced functionality is added in.
Shopify requires that a browser has cookies enabled to add products to the cart. When cookies are disabled, a theme is not expected to support purchasing actions, however, other aspects of the browsing experience must be the same as when cookies are enabled.