Shopify Education Partner program
The Shopify Education Partner program supports high-quality, partner-produced courses that teach merchants how to launch or grow their business. Becoming an Education Partner can help you refer new merchants to Shopify and improve your potential to earn revenue through the Shopify Partner program.
Benefits of the Shopify Education Partner program
Earning and promotional opportunities:
- Exclusive access to increased payouts
- Exclusive access to promotions to offer your audience
Boost your authority:
- Enhance your credibility as a Shopify product expert
- Differentiate your course among others in the ecommerce industry
- Assure your students that your course provides the highest-quality learning experience
- Get featured on our Shopify Education Partner listing page
Collaboration and marketing:
- Gain exclusive access to campaigns and initiatives that support the conversion rate of your referrals
- Receive the official Shopify Education Partner badge to use in your course marketing
- Receive an Education Partner-specific landing page and increase your conversion by introducing your referrals to Shopify with a personalized post-sign-up email
- Receive guidance from our affiliate team on course creation best practices, promotion strategies, and more
Through your participation and performance in the Education Partner program, you might be invited to join our Shopify Commerce Coach program.
Requirements for Shopify Education Partners
Every Shopify affiliate has the opportunity to become an Education Partner. Referral performance is a crucial part of being an Education Partner. We also prioritize applicants in priority regions whose courses meet and exceed our on-going quality standards and positively reflect on Shopify.
- You've referred a minimum of 50 merchants (paying customers) to Shopify in the last 12 months.
- Your course doesn't use affiliate links to promote any other ecommerce platforms.
- Your course, and any marketing promotion of your course, clearly discloses your partnership with Shopify.
- All statements made about and within your course are true, accurate, and verifiable with contact information. You might be required to provide your store handle for verification of any performance claims, such as store sale volume.
- Your course meets our course delivery and content criteria.
Course delivery & user experience criteria
- The user experience for both online and offline courses must follow a logical flow.
- Student details and payment information must be secure.
- Your course is hosted by you, through either your owned media channel or your in-person event.
- Your course's marketing aligns with its learning outcomes.
- Students don't encounter locked or gated content after purchasing access. All of the content that your course is said to include must be delivered to the student.
- The audio and video quality of the course is professional and reflects positively on the Shopify brand.
- You have a clearly stated and fair refund policy.
- Customer support contact information is easily available for student inquiries.
- Your course or workshop is fairly priced and reflects the quality and length of the material.
Course content criteria
- Your course contains a clear and early call-to-action to sign up for Shopify by directing students to your affiliate link. For example, “Become a Shopify Merchant”, followed by “Sign Up Here”.
- Your course outline defines clear learning objectives and outcomes.
- Your course content sets realistic expectations for students and the challenges of growing a successful commerce business. No "get rich quick" messaging is permitted.
- The Shopify product is referenced accurately and the content is aligned with the Shopify brand. The course must include a clear depiction of platform features, relevant use cases for the prospective audience, and market differentiators.
- Any statistics referenced are accurate, up-to-date, and appropriately cited.
Becoming a Shopify Education Partner
To become a Shopify Education Partner:
Confirm that you meet the Education Partner requirements.
You should also be aligned with the program’s ultimate goal, which is to enable course creators and educators to drive greater merchant growth for Shopify. If you’re looking to simply boost your brand through your association with this program, then your application will be denied.
Submit your application for review.
If your application is approved, then the Shopify Affiliate team will review the content of your course to confirm that it meets the course delivery, user experience, and course content criteria described on this page.
If your content meets our quality standards, then you'll be officially invited to the program.
Maintaining your eligibility
When you're accepted into the Education Partner program, your status is valid for one year, as long as you continue to meet the following conditions.
Performance and Collaboration
- You continue to refer a minimum of 50 merchants (paying customers) to Shopify in each 12 month period.
- You actively engage and communicate with the Shopify Affiliate team throughout the year through email correspondence.
Bi-annual review process and Education Partner badge
When you're accepted into the program, you’ll receive the verified Shopify Education Partner badge (with a date of validity) that is designed to support our bi-annual renewal process.
The bi-annual renewal process includes the following course reviews during the year:
- 6 months after initial approval: You must conduct a self-driven review of your course content.
- 12 months after initial approval: The Shopify Affiliate team conducts an annual review of your content.
After 12 months, in addition to a content review, we’ll conduct a performance review to determine your eligibility for the following year. The Shopify Affiliate team might provide you with course updates at the annual review that must be completed within 30 days.
If you fail to meet the annual performance expectations or complete your annual requested updates within the communicated timeline, then your Education Partner status might be terminated.