About the Shopify Affiliate Program
The Shopify Affiliate Program includes entrepreneurs, educators, influencers, content creators, and others who refer their entrepreneurial audience to Shopify. The program is free to join, and allows affiliates to monetize their audience and earn commissions from each new Shopify merchant referral. Affiliates can earn an average of $58 for each user who signs up for a paid plan with your unique affiliate link, and $2000 for each Plus referral. To maximize your earnings, each referral will be supported to help them transition from trial to paid plan.
Applying to the Shopify Affiliate Program
If you're new to the Shopify platform, then you can apply to the Affiliates program here. If you're already a Shopify Partner, then you can also apply to be an Affiliate by going to the Referred stores page in your Partner Dashboard, then clicking Apply today.
Your application must include an active and relevant website, examples of how you intend to promote Shopify, and your past experience (if any) in digital marketing. Applicants with any level of expertise, audience size, language proficiency, and geographic location are encouraged to apply. Common types of Shopify Affiliates include: educators, product reviewers, business influencers, content creators, agencies, and Shopify merchants.
It takes two business days to process your application.
If your application to the is approved, then you'll receive an email with an affiliate link to promote Shopify and some tools to help you get started.
If your application is denied, then you'll receive a personalized email explaining why. If you want to appeal the denial, then you can respond back to firstname.lastname@example.org with context, corrections, or clarifying information.
For legal and ethical reasons, Shopify reserves the right to refuse certain partners. Some commonly rejected applicants include:
- third-party networks
- affiliate networks
- PPC Advertisers
- toolbar-fueled websites
- coupon or discount or deal websites
- gambling or gaming websites
- an applicant making false promises or earning guarantees
- any screenshots of Shopify sales
- any violations of the FTC disclosure or our Partner Program Agreement.
Learn more about Shopify's Program guidelines.
Your affiliate link directs visitors to Shopify and includes your unique referral handle so each new merchant you refer can be tracked. When educating your audience about Shopify, always use your unique affiliate link. This ensures you receive credit for the new merchants who sign up for Shopify with the help of your referral. You can copy the affiliate link provided on the Referred Stores page in your Partner Dashboard.
A standard affiliate link looks like this:
How your affiliate link works
Your affiliate link includes a 30-day tracking cookie. This means that if a visitor clicks on your affiliate link posted on your website, then you will be credited with the referral as long as the visitor signs up for a 14-day free trial within 30 days. When the 14-day free trial ends and the visitor becomes a paying customer, you will earn a commission bounty. To learn more about the revenue that you're entitled to as a Shopify Affiliate, see Shopify Partner revenue share.
Make sure to use this link every time you mention Shopify in your course, blog, YouTube, podcast, email list, social networks, or other channels. You can use advanced tracking to measure the success of your campaigns on the Affiliate Tools page in your Partner Dashboard.
By default, your affiliate link sends visitors to the Shopify homepage. To create links that land on other Shopify pages, you can use deep linking.
International affiliate links
You can edit your affiliate link to work for international versions of Shopify websites (excluding African countries) by adding your affiliate referral handle to the end of the following international domains:
- General Spanish:
- New Zealand:
- United Kingdom:
You can also drive traffic to localized Shopify pages by adding your referral handle to the end of the following domains:
- Blog: France, Germany, Japan, and Singapore
- Success stories and commerce inspiration: France, Germany, Japan, and Singapore
- Free Tools: France, Germany, and Singapore
Using the Partner Dashboard
You can use the Partner Dashboard to manage your affiliate account details and understand your affiliate referrals and campaigns. From there, you can also learn about other opportunities, such as building apps for the Shopify App Store, themes for the Theme Store, or stores for Shopify merchants.
- The Referred stores page shows a list of the stores that you've referred to Shopify, including information about their recent activity and their Shopify Plan. From this page, you can copy your affiliate link and submit a Shopify Plus referral.
- The Affiliate tools page shows an overview of the clicks, trial signups, paid conversions, and earnings for each of your affiliate campaigns. From this page, you can create a standard affiliate link, create an advanced link with campaign tracking parameters, and export data from your affiliate campaigns to view detailed revenue amounts for each of the Shopify stores that you've referred. To learn how to track the effectiveness of your affiliate links across various platforms and campaigns, see Affiliate tools.
- The Payouts page shows a list of payout periods, which you can click on to show detailed revenue amounts for each of the Shopify stores that you’ve referred.
You're eligible to receive a bounty payment for merchants that you refer to a paid Shopify plan through your affiliate link. Shopify Plus referrals are eligible for an additional bonus. To learn more about the revenue that you're entitled to as a Shopify Affiliate, see Shopify Partner revenue share.
Getting paid as a Shopify Affiliate
For credits created from the 1st up to and including the 15th of the month, the payout will occur five business days after the 15th day of the month. For credits created between the 16th to and including the last day of the month, the payout will occur five business days after the last day of the month. If the commission balance is below $25, then it will be held until the next payout period.
Affiliate payouts can be made only through PayPal. Payments are made in USD.
Getting support as a Shopify Affiliate
If you have any further questions about Shopify’s Affiliate Program, then you can contact your Affiliate Manager, Affiliate support, or Shopify live support. For more information, see the Affiliate support page.