You can find apps for your store on the Shopify App Store. You can also download apps directly from an app developer's website. When choosing an app for your store, begin by asking yourself a few questions:
- What does my store need outside of Shopify’s core features?
- What would increase my sales (for example, better SEO, marketing, scheduled store sales)?
- What would make managing my store easier (for example, bulk print shipping labels)?
- How much do I want to spend on apps?
Learn more about getting support for third-party apps.
Finding an app in the Shopify App Store
You can find apps in the Shopify App Store in the following ways:
- Use the search box to search for apps by feature or name.
- Use the Categories drop-down menu to sort apps by category. Examples of categories are Dropshipping and SEO.
- Use the Collections drop-down menu to sort apps by collection. Examples of collections are Made by Shopify and Sales channels. App collections are handpicked by Shopify to include the best tools to help you launch, grow, and manage your online business.
After you enter a search term or select a category, you can use filters to narrow the results. You can change the order that apps are listed in by using the Sort by drop-down menu. The Pricing filter can be used to limit the list to only free apps. All apps created by Shopify are free.
To see how others have responded to the app, you can read app reviews and look at the overall star rating. The overall rating is a weighted average that prioritizes recent reviews, so that the rating better represents the most recent version of the app. Shopify also applies measures to remove or stop misleading and fake reviews from being published.
Paying for an app
Paid apps have a monthly fee, a one-time fee, or a fee every time you use it. Most paid apps also offer a free basic plan or a free trial period so you can try the app before purchasing it. You can review the pricing details for an app by clicking the app and scrolling down to the Pricing section.
Multi-language support in the Shopify App Store
You can browse the Shopify App Store in the supported languages that are available. To choose a language, use the language menu in the bottom-right corner of the page. After you choose a language, the navigation elements, categories, and filters in the Shopify App Store are all updated.
Because most app listings are available only in English, you need to search using terms in English to get the most complete set of results. To find app listings that are available in other languages (including French, German, and Japanese), use the language-specific app collections in the Collections drop-down menu.
Although you can post reviews in your preferred language, most review comments are available only in English.
When you request support from an app developer, remember that they might not offer support in your preferred language.
Advertising on the Shopify App Store
Shopify is always looking for ways to help you find apps that you can use to grow your business. One way that we do this is by letting app publishers advertise their apps on search results pages in the Shopify App Store.
How does Shopify know which ads to show me?
Ads in the Shopify App Store appear in two places:
- Search result pages: Advertisers can target their ads based on search keywords. If you searched for a keyword that advertisers are targeting, then ads for those apps appear on the search results page.
- Shopify App Store homepage: Ads are targeted based on the apps' relevance to any given shop, as well as the bid amount that a partner has specified. Factors that determine relevance include, but are not limited to, similarity to other shops that have installed that app and past browsing behavior.
What’s the difference between an ad and an app that Shopify has recommended to me?
Any time a developer pays Shopify to show their app to you, it's marked with a label that says Ad.
The Shopify App Store also provides personalized recommendations for apps that can help you run and grow your business. These recommendations appear in the Recommended for you section. App recommendations are not advertisements. They're suggestions based on stores that are similar to yours, and are intended to match you with the apps that provide you with the most value. No one pays Shopify to show recommendations to you. To learn more about how recommendations work, see App recommendations.
How are ads reviewed or approved by Shopify?
Only apps that have been approved by Shopify’s quality assurance team are eligible to advertise on the Shopify App Store. Ads can’t be customized by app developers, and they're based on information that was reviewed when the developer submitted their app to the Shopify App Store.
Can I opt out of seeing ads in the Shopify App Store?
You can't opt out of seeing ads on the Shopify App Store. If you have feedback about the ads that you see, then send it by email to email@example.com.
Finding an app outside of the Shopify App Store
Some app developers choose not to list their apps on the Shopify App store. If you find an app outside the Shopify App Store that you want to use, then the developer will share a link to an unlisted app installation page. From there, click Add app to use the app on your Shopify store.
Unlisted apps created on or after December 9, 2019 have been reviewed by Shopify, but unlisted apps created before this date haven't been reviewed. If you install an unreviewed app from outside of the Shopify App Store, then you'll see a warning during the installation process stating that the app has not been reviewed by Shopify.