Checkout extensibility upgrade guide
You can use Shopify checkout to accept orders and receive payments wherever you sell online. If your store is on the Shopify Plus plan, then you can use checkout extensibility to add apps and customize your branding in a way that's upgrade-safe and works with Shop pay.
This guide describes new ways that you can use checkout extensibility to customize your checkout on Shopify if you're currently a store on the Shopify Plus plan using
checkout.liquid. Use the Checkout Extensibility Upgrade Kit to learn more about how to assess and replace your current checkout customizations.
On this page
About checkout extensibility
Checkout extensibility is a faster, better performing, more secure, and upgrade-safe option than
checkout.liquid for checkout customizations. Checkout extensibility also works seamlessly with Shop Pay. By upgrading to checkout extensibility, you can take advantage of several new features and capabilities, including the following:
Checkout extensibility lets you create checkout customizations that are built into apps. These apps are fast to install and upgrade-safe. To add to this, checkout extensibility is continuously evolving to meet your needs through new or improved features, alongside new apps.
To use Checkout extensibility, you need to be a store on the Shopify Plus plan. Currently, checkout extensibility can't be used if you use Global-e, but is planned to be available in Q3. You also can't use any features that are incompatible with checkout extensibility, such as the following features:
- Advanced Cash on Delivery
- In Flight API Mutations
- Unsupported Hosted Payment SDK Gateways
Upgrade to checkout extensibility
You can still upgrade to checkout extensibility even if you can't replicate all of your existing
Step 1: Review your existing checkout.liquid customizations
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
- Find your current theme, and then click the ... button.
- Click Edit code to review your existing
Learn more about the
Step 2: Create and publish a new checkout
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Checkout.
- In the Checkout customization section, click Create draft checkout.
- Customize your checkout by adding apps or editing your branding. Learn more about customizing and editing your checkout.
- Optional: Set up your Pixels or additional first party features.
- Review your changes.
- When you're ready to use this new checkout, click Publish.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click Publish to confirm that you want to replace your live
As Shopify makes new improvements, your new checkout will automatically update.
Optional: Installing checkout apps
Consider installing checkout apps from the Shopify App Store to enhance your checkout through added functionalities that can help you grow conversions, increase average order value, and more.
Optional: Setting up your Pixels
If you're currently using
checkout.liquid to track customer events, then you should replace it with Pixels before publishing your draft checkout.
Optional: Setting up additional first-party features
It's possible that some of your
checkout.liquid customizations are now supported in Shopify. Before publishing your draft checkout, review and set up these features, as applicable.
Examples of features that are now supported in Shopify include the following:
Revert to checkout.liquid
After you upgrade to checkout extensibility, liquid customizations will only apply to your Thank You and Order Status pages. To apply liquid customizations to all of the checkout, you can revert back to
- From the Checkout screen, in the Checkout customization section, click checkout.liquid.
- Click Revert to checkout.liquid.
- Click Revert to replace your live checkout and some other checkout features.
After you revert to
checkout.liquid, your checkout extensibility customizations are saved as a draft that you can update and publish later.
If you started using features incompatible with
checkout.liquid and you revert to
checkout.liquid, then these features will stop working.
Features incompatible with checkout.liquid
The following features are incompatible with
checkout.liquid and are only available when you upgrade to checkout extensibility: