This page was printed on May 29, 2023. For the current version, visit https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/custom-data/metafields/deleting-metafields.
If you no longer want to have a metafield for part of your store, then you can delete the metafield definition. When you delete a metafield definition, you can choose between the following options:
- Delete only the metafield definition.
- Delete both the metafield definition and all associated metafield values.
If you want to save the values associated with a metafield, then delete only the metafield definition. After you delete the definition, you can access the values by migrating them to a new custom metafield definition with the same namespace and key.
On this page
Delete a metafield definition
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Custom data.
- Select the part of your store that contains the metafield definition that you want to delete.
- Click the metafield definition that you want to delete.
- Click Delete, and then select one of the following options:
- To preserve the associated values on parts of your store, click Delete definition only.
- To completely delete the metafield and all its associated values, click Delete definition and all metafield values.