Setting up the Facebook channel
Before you can start selling on Facebook or create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to set up Shopify's Facebook channel.
The current Facebook channel has one product catalog for Facebook Marketing, Instagram, and Facebook shop. All products in your catalog are available to all three channels and if you make a product unavailable it will be removed from all three.
To use the Facebook channel your store needs to be on the Basic Shopify plan or higher. Before you can start using the Facebook channel, you need to set up a Facebook Business Manager that's connected to both your business's Facebook Page and an ad account that has an admin role for the Business Manager.
Facebook Business Manager is a tool that you can use to organize and manage your business Pages and ad accounts in one place. If you're using a personal ad account, then you need to have used it to run ads in the past before you can connect it to a Business Manager. If you've never run ads with your personal ad account, then you need to create a new ad account inside Business Manager before you can create Facebook ad campaigns. Learn more about Business Manager and ad accounts from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
If you don't have a Business Manager, then you can set one up when you're setting up the Facebook channel.
Facebook Page settings
The following requirements need to be met on Facebook before you can connect your Facebook Page:
- Your Facebook account needs to have an admin role on the Page.
- The Facebook page needs to be published.
- You can be an admin on multiple Facebook pages, and access them all using a single Facebook Business Manager. However, every Facebook business page can only be owned by a single Facebook Business Manager. You need to be the admin of both the Facebook Business Manager that owns a specific Facebook page and the Facebook page itself to connect it with the Facebook channel in Shopify.
Learn how to create a Facebook Page for your business at the Facebook help center.
You also need to sell by using a Shopify online store, and your store can't be password protected. Learn how to remove your online store password.
To install the Facebook channel you need to have a Facebook account and an online store. If you do not have a Facebook account prior to installing the sales channel in your Shopify admin you will be prompted to sign up for one.
You might need to change your store's settings before you can add a sales channel because of specific eligibility requirements.
If your store isn't eligible for a sales channel, then the channel appears as Unavailable in your Shopify admin. Click You can't add this channel to see why your store isn't eligible.
Install the current Facebook sales channel
- From your Shopify admin, click + next to SALES CHANNELS.
- Click + next to Facebook, and then click Update sales channel.
- For each sales channel that you want to install, click Start setup.
- Click Connect account.
- Complete the set up and then click Finish setup.
If your staff wants to use the Facebook sales channel, ask each staff member to set up the Facebook sales channel using their own account. Each staff member can connect their own Facebook account if the account has admin permission on the Business Manager. If they don't set up the Facebook channel, they can't use this feature.
Migrating to the current Facebook channel
If you have the Instagram sales channel or Facebook Shop installed, but do not have the Facebook channel installed, then use these steps to migrate to the current Facebook channel.
- From your Shopify admin, click either Instagram or Facebook shop, then click Get started
- In the new window, log in to your Facebook account.
- Under Connect Shopify Marketing to Facebook click Continue to grant permission.
- Select your Business Manager, and then click Continue.
- Select the product catalog that you want to feature on Facebook and Instagram, and click Continue.
- Confirm all of your settings are correct, and click Continue.
- Select all of the Instagram Business Accounts that you want to use with Shopify Marketing, and click Next.
- Select all of the Facebook Businesses that you want to use with Shopify Marketing, and click Next.
- Select all of the Facebook Pages that you want to use with Shopify Marketing, and click Next.
- Review the permissions granted to Shopify Marketing, and click Next.
- When Shopify Marketing and Facebook successfully link, click Continue.
When you complete this process, the current Facebook channel will be installed in your store and both the Instagram Shopping feature and the Facebook Shop feature can be found within it.
If you already had the Instagram sales channel approved and installed in your store, then the approval status carries over to the current Facebook channel.
You can create collections for your Facebook Shop and Instagram Shopping tab in your Commerce Manager in Facebook.
If you're setting up the Instagram Shopping feature in the Facebook channel for the first time, then your store has to be reviewed by Instagram and that process can take up to 72 hours.
View sales channel dashboards in your Shopify Home
Each sales channel has a dashboard where you can see a detailed summary of the channel's recent sales and traffic. You can see how a particular sales channel is performing by selecting it from the drop-down menu on your Shopify Home.
Authorizing the Facebook channel for your Facebook account
When you set up Shopify's Facebook channel, you give Shopify permission to access a Facebook Page for your business, as well as a Facebook ad account and Business Manager. The Facebook Page will connect to your personal Facebook account, but Shopify uses your personal Facebook account information only to access the Facebook Page, Ads Manager account, and Facebook Business Manager.
Understanding roles and permissions on Facebook
On Facebook, you need an admin role for a Page, Ad account, or Business Manager before you can access all of its settings and make certain kinds of changes to it. Pages, Ad accounts, and Business Managers have separate account permissions, which means that you need admin roles for each one. The Business Manager that you select in the Facebook channel is considered the owner of the Facebook page and the Facebook Ad account during onboarding. If the Facebook Ad account is owned by a different Business Manager, then you can't connect the Facebook Ad account. If you can't connect a desired Facebook Ad account, then try connecting a different Facebook Business Manager, or create a new Facebook Ad account.
You can find an overview of Facebook roles and permissions and links to more resources on the Facebook Help Center.
Additional help from the Facebook Help Center
If you need help with troubleshooting your Facebook account setup, then see the following articles from the Facebook Help Center:
- To learn more about managing Facebook Page roles, refer to How do I manage roles for my Facebook Page?
- To learn more about changing permissions on your Facebook advertising account, refer to Ad Accounts and Permissions.
- To learn more about setting up a Facebook Business Manager, refer to Create a Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding a payment method to a Facebook ad account, refer to Add a payment method in Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding or changing spending limits for your ad account, refer to Create an account spending limit.