Setting up the Facebook channel
Before you can start selling on Facebook or create Facebook ad campaigns in Shopify, you need to set up Shopify's Facebook channel.
The Facebook channel has one product catalog for Facebook Marketing, Instagram Shopping, and Facebook shop. All products in your catalog are available to all three features. If you make a product unavailable, then the product is removed from all three features.
To use the Facebook channel your store needs to be on the Basic Shopify plan or higher. Before you can start using the Facebook channel, you need to set up a Facebook Business Manager that's connected to both your business's Facebook Page and an ad account that has an admin role for the Business Manager.
If you have a personal ad account, then you need to connect it to a Business Manager. If you've never run ads with your personal ad account, then you need to create a new ad account inside Business Manager before you can create Facebook ad campaigns. Learn more about Business Manager and ad accounts from the Facebook Ads Help Center.
If you don't have a Business Manager, then you can set one up when you're setting up the Facebook channel.
Facebook Page settings
The following requirements need to be met on Facebook before you can connect your Facebook Page:
- Your Facebook account needs to have an admin role on the Page.
- The Facebook page needs to be published.
- You can be an admin on multiple Facebook pages, and access them all using a single Facebook Business Manager. However, every Facebook business page can only be owned by a single Facebook Business Manager. You need to be the admin of both the Facebook Business Manager that owns a specific Facebook page and the Facebook page itself to connect it with the Facebook channel in Shopify.
Learn how to create a Facebook Page for your business at the Facebook help center.
You also need to sell by using a Shopify online store, and your store can't be password protected. Learn how to remove your online store password.
To install the Facebook channel you need to have a Facebook account and an online store. If you don't have a Facebook account when you install the Facebook channel in your Shopify admin, then you'll be prompted to sign up for one.
You might need to change your store's settings before you can add a sales channel because of specific eligibility requirements.
If your store isn't eligible for a sales channel, then the channel appears as Unavailable in your Shopify admin. Click You can't add this channel to see why your store isn't eligible.
Install and set up the Facebook channel
- From your Shopify admin, click + next to SALES CHANNELS.
- Click + next to Facebook, and then click Update sales channel to install the Facebook channel.
- Click Start set up on the feature that you want to install first.
- Click Connect account.
- Sign in to your Facebook account.
- Connect the Facebook assets that are required to set up the features that you want.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click Finish setup.
After you set up a feature on the Facebook channel, the Facebook assets that you connect are already completed for the set up of additional features. Some additional assets, such as an Ad Account for Facebook Marketing, might be required to complete the set up of certain features.
For more details on setting up Facebook channel features, refer to:
- Instagram Shopping
- Facebook Shop
- Marketing with the Facebook channel
- Facebook's customer data-sharing levels.
Adding staff to the Facebook channel
If staff set up the channel in their Shopify admin, then the Facebook channel is displayed to all other staff but it won't appear as connected.
If staff need to use the Facebook channel, then they need to connect to the Facebook channel in their Shopify admin, using their own Facebook account. The staff's Facebook account must have admin permission on the Business Manager and Facebook page associated with the Shopify store to be able to successfully connect to the Facebook channel.
Authorizing the Facebook channel for your Facebook account
When you set up the Facebook channel, you give Shopify permission to access a Facebook Page for your business, as well as a Facebook ad account and Business Manager. The Facebook Page connects to your personal Facebook account, but Shopify uses your personal Facebook account information only to access the Facebook Page, Ads Manager account, and Facebook Business Manager.
Understanding roles and permissions on Facebook
On Facebook, you need an admin role for a Page and Business Manager before you can access all of Facebook's settings and make certain changes. Pages and Business Managers have separate account permissions, which means that you need admin roles for each one. The Business Manager that you select in the Facebook channel must be the owner of the Facebook page during onboarding. If the Facebook Page is owned by a different Business Manager, then the Facebook Page isn't listed as an option to connect. If you can't connect a desired Facebook Page, then check that the Facebook Business Manager you are connecting owns the Facebook page, or try connecting a different Business Manager.
You can find an overview of Facebook roles and permissions and links to more resources on the Facebook Help Center.
Additional help from the Facebook Help Center
If you need help with troubleshooting your Facebook account setup, then see the following articles from the Facebook Help Center:
- To learn more about managing Facebook Page roles, refer to How do I manage roles for my Facebook Page?
- To learn more about changing permissions on your Facebook advertising account, refer to Add Accounts and Permissions.
- To learn more about setting up a Facebook Business Manager, refer to Create a Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding a payment method to a Facebook ad account, refer to Add a payment method in Business Manager.
- To learn more about adding or changing spending limits for your ad account, refer to Create an account spending limit.