Setting up pre-orders
After you set up pre-orders, your customers can pre-order and pay for products before they are ready to ship. To see information about your pre-orders, you must be using a pre-order app. If you have a pre-order app installed, then pre-order information becomes available in the following areas of your Shopify admin:
Requirements and restrictions
To use pre-orders on your store, review the following requirements and restrictions:
- You must have a reasonable basis for saying that a product can be shipped within a certain time.
- If no date is clearly specified, you must have a reasonable belief that the product will ship within 30 days of purchase.
- If you’re unable to ship within the promised time, you must provide a revised shipment date and explain the customer’s right to cancel or obtain a refund.
- Pre-orders aren't supported on stores with customized checkouts.
- Customers can't purchase pre-orders by using the following accelerated checkouts: Shop Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Meta Pay.
- Customers can't use local payment methods such as Klarna, mollie iDEAL, and Sofort to purchase pre-orders.
- Local delivery and pick up in store aren't supported as delivery options for subscriptions.
- Pre-order products are only supported on the Online Store and Custom Storefront sales channels.
- You can set up multiple purchase options on a product, but customers can’t combine different purchase options on the same product in a single checkout. For example, customers can’t pre-order a subscription product. A t-shirt for pre-order can't also be purchased as a try before you buy order.
- Buy X get Y discounts aren't supported by pre-orders.
Using pre-orders in the Shopify admin
If you have completed the setup in your pre-order app, then review the following sections for any additional steps that are relevant to your business.
If a product or any of its variants have the pre-order purchase option set up, then the pre-order app displays pre-order details on the product page's product description.
You can choose to limit a product to only having the purchase option available, or you can enable both the purchase option, and one-time purchase.
- From your Shopify admin, click Products.
- Click the product that you want to manage the purchase option of.
- Do one of the following:
- To sell the product as a purchase option only, select Only show this product with these purchase options.
- To sell the product as one-time purchases as well as with purchase options, deselect Only show this product with these purchase options.
Customer checkout experience
During checkout, pre-order apps show pre-order information to the customer. For example, if you decide to collect a partial deposit for pre-orders, then the deposit amount due at checkout is shown in the order summary, as well as the remaining amount due at a later date.
During the Payment step of the checkout, your customer needs to confirm that they understand that they are purchasing a product with a purchase option. They can't complete their purchase without agreeing to this.