Shopify Email analytics
When you send an email campaign or automation, then a report that is generated for you to gain insights on how well the email performed, and how it was interacted with. You can identify which subscribers have opened the email, performed specific actions, or had the email bounce. You can also export CSV files with lists of the subscribers who performed each action.
Metrics tracked in your email campaign analytics report
Your email activity report will display the following metrics.
- Total sales: The total sales from this marketing activity, calculated as gross sales minus discounts and returns, plus taxes, duties, and shipping.
- Average order value: The average value of all orders that are directly attributed to this marketing activity.
- Average products sold: The average number of products per order for all orders that are directly attributed to this marketing activity.
- First-time customers: The number of customers who placed their first order on your store who are directly attributed to this marketing activity.
- Opened: The number of unique recipients who opened this email.
- Clicked: The total number of recipients who clicked on any link in your email.
- Reported as spam: The total number of recipients who reported your email as spam.
- Unsubscribed: The total number of recipients who clicked the unsubscribe link in the email.
- Delivered: The number of emails that successfully reached customer inboxes and did not bounce.
- Bounced: The total number of emails that weren’t delivered.
Marketing funnel behavior
- Unique visitors: The number of subscribers who visited your online store after viewing your email.
- Added to cart: The total number of sessions where a customer added a product to a cart.
- Orders: The total number of sessions where an order was placed.
- Page views: The total number of times a customer viewed a product page.
- Entered checkout: The total number of times a customer began the checkout process.
- Purchased: The total number of times a customer made a purchase.
- Interactions: The total number of clicks to each storefront link in the email. Links that take customers outside of your store aren't tracked.
View your email campaign analytics report
- In your Shopify admin, click Marketing.
- Under Recent marketing, click the email that you want to review the analytics for.
- In the CAMPAIGN SUMMARY section, click View report under the email preview.
- Optional: View or export specific data about which customers took specific actions:
- To view a specific metric's data, under Email engagement, click the metric.
- To export a specific metric's data, under Email engagement, click the metric, and then click Export.
Choose your email open tracking option
Open tracking shows you how many subscribers opened an email that you sent out using Shopify Email. Clicking the metric also displays a list of the recipients who opened the email. Open tracking is enabled by default, and gives you an open rate in the report section of each Shopify Email campaign that you send. You can disable this feature, but you don't see the open rate metric if you select this option.
- In your Shopify admin, click Settings.
- Click Notifications
- In the Email marketing section, choose either Optimize open tracking (recommended), Track all email opens, Ask for consent, or Do not track.
- Click Save.
The open tracking options determine how your Shopify store collects analytics for Shopify Email:
Optimize open tracking (recommended): Shopify collects the open rates for your email marketing campaigns, and helps to maintain your sender reputation. If you want to balance customer data privacy choices with data reporting, then choose this setting.
Track all email opens: The number of subscribers that open your email marketing campaigns, also known as the open rate, is collected. This setting gives you the most detailed open rate reporting.
Ask for consent: Subscribers can opt into tracking by clicking Opt in to email open tracking in the footer of your email marketing campaigns. The amount of subscribers that open your emails, known as the open rate, is reported based on subscribers who opt in, combined with overall email engagement, such as link clicks.
Do not track: Your email open rate isn't reported. Other analytics for your email marketing campaigns, such as the number of clicks from subscribers, are still collected.
If a buyer receives an email from you, but visits your store directly using another tab or browser window, or at a later time, instead of clicking a link within the email, then the behaviour isn't reflected in your Shopify Email analytics.