Migrating to Google Analytics 4
Google is sunsetting Universal Analytics in July, 2023, and replacing it with Google Analytics 4(GA4), which is Google's next-generation measurement solution. Universal Analytics will continue to collect data until it's sunset in July 2023, and data will remain accessible for at least 6 months afterwards.
With its flexible event-based data model, Google Analytics 4 enables you to view unified user journeys across your website and apps. It uses Google’s machine learning to bridge gaps in your data with modeled insights and predictive capabilities that you can use to get better results and grow your business. Because it doesn't rely exclusively on cookies, Google Analytics 4 is built to keep up with a changing ecosystem, so that you can learn about your customers even with gaps in your data.
On this page
Migrating to Google Analytics 4
You can migrate from your Universal Analytics tag to the new Google Analytics 4 tag. To migrate, you need to complete the following tasks:
You might also need to complete the following tasks, depending on your Universal Analytics set up:
- Migrate your audiences to GA4 in your Google Analytics account.
- Migrate conversion funnels and goals to GA4.
Step 1: Create a GA4 property
To create a Google Analytics 4 property, you need to have the editor role for the Google Analytics account. To migrate to GA4, you need to create a Google Analytics 4 property to add to your Shopify store. After you create your GA4 property, create a web data stream and copy the Tag ID to use in step 2.
Step 2: Add GA4 tags to your Shopify store
If you don't have the Google & YouTube channel installed, then you're prompted to install it during the set up process for your GA4 tags. You don't have to connect to the Google Merchant Center to complete your GA4 tags setup proces.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online store > Preferences.
- In the Google Analytics section, click Manage pixel here.
- Click Connect your Google account.
- Select the Tag ID for the GA4 property that you want to connect to your Shopify store.
- Click Connect your Google Analytics 4 property.
After you add GA4 tags to your store, depending on how you use Universal Analytics, take the following actions:
- If you use Universal Analytics audiences, then you need to migrate audiences to GA4.
- If you use Universal Analytics to track Google Ad conversions on you Shopify store, then you need to migrate conversion tracking to GA4.
- If you don't use Universal Analytics audiences or track Google Ad conversions, then your migration is complete.
Migrate audiences to GA4
If you use Univeral Analytics audiences, then you need to migrate audiences to your GA4 property. By migrating audiences from your Universal Analytics property to your Google Analytics 4 property, you can identify the same user groups based on your Google Analytics 4 data, and export those audiences to your linked Google Ads accounts to address the same use cases.
Migrate conversion tracking to GA4
If you use Universal Analytics to track Google Ad conversions on your Shopify store, then you need to migrate the conversion tracking to GA4. Google Analytics 4 uses events to track and measure conversions instead of the goals and the ecommerce report that Universal Analytics uses. To learn more about conversion tracking in GA4, refer to Conversion analytics in GA4.
To migrate conversion tracking to GA4, do the following: