Shopify POS FAQ
On this page
- What devices does Shopify POS work with?
- What is the difference between Shopify POS and POS Pro?
- Why do I need a Shopify store if I don't want to sell online?
- What do I need apart from the app?
- What is a Staff PIN?
- Do I have to sell the same products in-store as I do online?
- Does the app work in every country and currency?
- Why are some (or all) of my products missing from Shopify POS?
- How do I make products available only on Shopify POS?
- What languages does Shopify POS support?
- What should I do if my POS card reader is stolen?
- How can I keep my card reader secure?
What devices does Shopify POS work with?
The Shopify POS app works with devices which meet the following requirements:
|iPhone||iPhone 7 or higher running iOS 13 or higher|
|iPad Air||Generation 2 or higher running iPadOS 13 or higher|
|iPad||Generation 5 or higher running iPadOS 13 or higher|
|iPad mini||Generation 4 or higher running iPadOS 13 or higher|
|iPad Pro||All iPad Pro models running iPadOS 13 or higher|
|Android||Phone or tablet running official Android version 7.0 (Nougat) or higher|
The Shopify POS app is available for only iOS and Android devices. It's not available for desktop computers.
iOS 14 permission requirements
If you have updated your device to iOS 14 or higher and use third-party Shopify apps, then you might need to enable Cross-Website tracking in your iOS settings. Cross-Website tracking lets third-party Shopify apps that you have installed in your Shopify admin stay connected in Shopify Inbox, Shopify Point of Sale, and the Shopify mobile app.
To enable Cross-Website tracking, complete the following steps:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap Shopify, Shopify POS, or Shopify Inbox.
- Enable Allow Cross-Website Tracking.
What is the difference between Shopify POS and POS Pro?
The Shopify POS is a Point of Sale app that has a wide range of features to support your brick-and-mortar store. The Shopify POS app is available on Basic Shopify or higher subscription plans.
Shopify POS Pro is an add-on to Shopify POS that unlocks additional features for brick-and-mortar businesses. Pro features are available for a free 14 day trial when you start using Shopify POS. At that time, you may choose to continue to use Pro features for your retail stores for an additional monthly fee. If not, your app will automatically revert back to the free version of Shopify POS, no action is required on your part.
Why do I need a Shopify store if I don't want to sell online?
Your Shopify store is where you manage information such as your customers, inventory, and account details regardless of where you sell. The Shopify POS app handles customer-facing activities and your in-store settings.
What do I need apart from the app?
The only essentials are a supported device, the Shopify POS app, a Shopify store (which you can create from the app), and a product to sell. Shopify POS works with a variety of retail hardware, such as a cash drawer, iPad stand, receipt printer, and barcode scanner, but you can process sales without these items. Shopify POS hardware is available from the Shopify Hardware Store in certain countries. For more information, visit the Shopify Hardware Store.
What is a Staff PIN?
Shopify POS introduces staff pins which are a unique four-digit personal identification number (PIN) to access the Shopify POS app.
When a logged-in staff processes a checkout through Shopify POS, their staff name is tied to that order. You can check which staff processed an order on the order's detail view in Shopify POS, and in the order's Timeline in the Shopify admin.
If you unsure what PIN is assigned to a staff member, you can set a new staff pin for them in the admin.
- In the Shopify admin, navigate to settings.
- Click Users and permissions.
- Click the staff account name that you want to edit.
- In the Point of sale access section, enable the Give Point of sale access to this staff permission.
- In the PIN section, enter a four-digit PIN or click Generate new PIN so that the staff can use that PIN to log in to Shopify POS.
- Click Save.
Do I have to sell the same products in-store as I do online?
No. When you add products in your Shopify admin, you can decide whether to make them available online, in-store, or both.
Does the app work in every country and currency?
Almost. You can use Shopify POS worldwide, but your store needs to be based in a country where Shopify has supported credit card payment providers.
Why are some (or all) of my products missing from Shopify POS?
If you don't add your products to the POS sales channel in the Shopify admin, then they aren't listed in the app. If you've added the products and they still aren't appearing, then make sure you're logged into the correct location.
How do I make products available only on Shopify POS?
You can change the availability of your products from the Products page in your Shopify admin.
To change the availability of a single product, click the product and edit the Product availability so that only Point of Sale is selected. Click Done, and then Save.
To change the availability of multiple products, select the products that you want to edit, click Actions, and select Make products available. Change the availability so that only Point of Sale is selected, and then click Make products available.
What languages does Shopify POS support?
Shopify POS supports the following languages:
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Norwegian Bokmal
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Portuguese (Portugal)
To change the language of the Shopify POS app, you will need to change the language of the iOS device through iOS settings.
Other languages not listed here may work, but they are not supported and could result in missing translations that will appear in English by default.
What should I do if my POS card reader is stolen?
Unused, lost, or stolen POS card readers should be unpaired from the Shopify POS app.
- In the POS app, tap
≡and navigate to Settings.
- Click Manage Connected hardware.
- Find the card reader and select Forget.
- Navigate to the iOS or Android device's Bluetooth settings and forget the card reader.
Replacement Shopify POS hardware can be purchased from the Shopify Hardware Store.
How can I keep my card reader secure?
Keep your card reader secure by taking the following steps:
- Be aware of suspicious behavior around devices such as attempts by unknown persons to unplug or open devices. Verify the identity of third-party persons claiming to be repair or maintenance personnel. Shopify does not service these devices in person.
- Report suspicious behavior and indications of POS device tampering or substitution to the Shopify account owner. Examples of signs that a device might have been tampered with or substituted include unexpected attachments or cables plugged into the device, missing or changed security labels, broken or differently colored casing, or changes to the serial number or other external markings.
- Periodically inspect POS devices to detect tampering (for example, addition of card skimmers to devices), or substitution (for example, by checking the serial number or other device characteristics to verify it has not been swapped with a fraudulent device). Do not use POS devices that might have been tampered with until they have been inspected.
You are responsible for maintenance of the POS card reader device inventory in the store administration interface.
If a device has been tampered with, remove it from your POS device in the settings interface. In the POS app, tap
≡. Select Settings > Manage Connected hardware, find the device and select Forget.
If a tampered device is used to capture payment data, credit card data may have been stolen. You are responsible to report stolen payment data to the payment service provider (and/or card brands) as per your required incident response process and as required by PCI DSS for PCI compliance.