Exchange an order item
Using the Shopify POS app, you can exchange a returned item for a new item. If there's a difference in price between the two items, then collect or pay out the difference during the exchange.
- From the Shopify POS app, tap Orders.
- Tap the order for which you want to create an exchange.
- Tap Exchange.
- On the Select items to return screen:
- Adjust the quantity of items being exchanged.
- Optional: Tap the Restock at this location to turn this option off. Otherwise, returned items are added to the inventory of the assigned location for your POS device.
- Tap Next.
- On the Select new items screen, select the new product from the products list to exchange the returned item for. On the New items page, you can also:
- Update the quantity of the new selected item(s).
- Optional: Tap Add more items if the customer wants to keep adding products to their order.
- Optional: Tap the Mark item as fulfilled option off to note that the item needs to be sent to the customer at a later date. A new order will be created for the item(s).
- Optional: Tap Attribute sale to staff to associate a staff member to the sale of the new item.
- After everything has been added, tap Next.
- Review the Exchange summary:
- Optional: Tap Add note to add a note about the reason for the exchange.
- If there's a balance remaining in the Amount due section, then tap Refund or Collect and complete the transaction. If there's no balance remaining, then tap Exchange.
- Optional: Print, email, or text a receipt to the customer.
- To complete the exchange, tap Done.