Adding Point of Sale staff
If you're the store owner, or you have the Manage Point of Sale staff permission, then you can use the Shopify admin or the Shopify POS (Point of Sale) app to add or remove staff that have access to Shopify POS.
You can have two types of staff with access to Shopify POS:
- Staff that have both POS app access and Shopify admin access, including the Point of Sale channel.
- POS app only staff that have access to the Shopify POS app, but don't have access to your Shopify admin or Point of Sale channel. POS app only staff are only available to merchants using Shopify POS Pro.
All staff with POS app access need a unique four-digit personal identification number (PIN) to access the POS app.
On this page
Shopify POS login requirements
|Point of Sale access
Access Point of Sale
Staff with limited admin permissions and POS app only staff can't access Shopify POS unless the store owner or a staff member with the Set up new or updated POS devices logs in to the Shopify POS first.
Staff POS app access can be granted by activating the Access Point of Sale option in a staff's account. Following this, a POS Role can be defined, and a PIN code can be set up.
When a new staff member is set up in this way—or when an existing staff member is granted POS access—they will receive an email linking them to their Users and permissions page, where they can reveal their PIN. Otherwise, the staff member can reveal their own PIN in their Shopify admin by clicking their staff account under Settings > Users and Permissions, or from Point of Sale > Staff.
When staff enter their PIN and process a sale, their staff name is connected with that order. The staff who processed an order is displayed on the order's detail view in Shopify POS, and in the order's Timeline in the Shopify admin.
Add access to POS for staff with admin permissions
You can grant access to the POS app for a staff member that has admin permissions. If the staff member doesn't have the required permissions to use the POS, then you're prompted to grant those permissions so that the staff member can log in to POS devices.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Users and permissions. For Plus organizations, go to Settings. In the Organization section, click Users.
- In the Staff section, click the name of the staff member you want to give POS access to. For Plus organizations, filter for type Staff and then click the staff profile. In the Store permissions section, click Edit for the store with the staff permissions you want to adjust.
- In the Point of Sale access section, check Access Point of Sale.
- Optional: Select Set up new or updated POS devices to grant permission for the staff member to log into POS devices.
- Optional: If you want to create a different PIN than the default PIN, then do one of the following in the PIN section:
- Click Generate random PIN.
- Delete the default
. . . .and enter a PIN manually. Staff use this PIN to access Shopify POS. Make sure that your staff knows what their PIN is.
- Click Save.
Add a POS app only staff
You can add POS app only staff from two locations:
Add POS app only staff from Shopify POS
If you're the store owner or have the Manage Point of Sale staff permission, then you can add POS app only staff directly within the Shopify POS app.
- From Shopify POS, tap
☰, and then tap Staff.
- Tap Add new staff.
- In the Staff Information section, enter the required details.
- In the POS App Access section, tap Edit.
- Optional: To access the list of permissions within each role, select the role and then tap View permissions.
- Select a role, and then tap Save.
- Optional: If you want to create a different PIN than the default PIN, then do the following:
- In the Security section, tap Edit.
- Tap Generate random PIN or use the keypad to enter a PIN. Staff use this PIN to access Shopify POS. Make sure that your staff knows what their PIN is.
- Tap Save.
Add a POS app only staff through the Point of Sale channel
If you're the store owner or have a staff with the Manage Point of Sale staff permission, then you can add POS app only staff from the Point of Sale channel in the Shopify admin. You control your staff's permissions for the Shopify POS by assigning them a predefined POS role.
From your Shopify admin, click Settings > Apps and sales channels.
From the Apps and sales channels page, click Point of sale.
Click Open sales channel.
Click Add staff.
Enter the required information.
Select a POS role.
If you want to create a different PIN than the default PIN, then in the PIN section, click Generate random PIN or enter a PIN. Staff use this PIN to access Shopify POS. Make sure that your staff know what their PIN is.