Request partial fulfillment
By default, Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) tries to fulfill your entire request in a single box to save shipping and fulfillment costs. If you want to remove some items and fulfill only a part of the fulfillment request, then you can manually split your fulfillment request. For example, if one of the items in the request is out of stock, then you can remove it from the request so that the remaining items can be delivered to customers as soon as possible.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
- Click the order that you want to edit.
- Edit an order to split it into separate fulfillment requests.
- When you're done editing an order, do one of the following:
- Manually fulfill out of stock SKUs.
- Leave the remaining SKUs on hold until they're restocked.
- Edit or refund the remaining SKUs if there will be no option for fulfillment. For example, the item will never be restocked.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Request fulfillment.
- Click the ... menu and select either Hold fulfillment or Change location.
If no inventory is available to fulfill the items, then the request is automatically placed on a hold until inventory is received.