Shopify Fulfillment Network fulfillment lifecycle
This page was printed on Oct 03, 2022. For the current version, visit https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/shopify-fulfillment-network/sfn-overview/sfn-fulfillment-lifecycle.
The following is a typical fulfillment lifecycle for an order that's fulfilled by the Shopify Fulfillment Network.
- A customer places an order in your online store.
- After the order is paid or payment is authorized, SFN receives a request for fulfillment with the status Pending. If you set up a fulfillment delay in Settings, the fulfillment request status will be Pending until the end of the order delay duration.
- To prepare to process your fulfillment request, SFN personnel take the following actions:
- Check whether the request meets fulfillment conditions.
- Determine when the package needs to be delivered.
- Identify which fulfillment center can fulfill the order.
- Choose a carrier service.
- The fulfillment request is assigned to a fulfillment center and the status updates to In progress.
- When your fulfillment request is processed, SFN personnel perform the following actions:
- Print the packing slip.
- Pick the items in the order.
- Pack the items and packing slip.
- Buy a shipping label with a tracking number.
- Attach the shipping label to the package.
- Schedule a pickup time with the carrier.
- If the fulfillment request is a split fulfillment, then the status updates to Partially fulfilled, otherwise the status updates to Fulfilled.
- SFN updates your Shopify order with the tracking number.
- The carrier arrives at the fulfillment center, picks up the shipment, and sends a notification to SFN that the package is in transit.
- The carrier delivers the package to your customer's address.