Setting up taxes
If you're new to Shopify, then before you start selling, you need to determine whether you should charge tax. You might need to register with various tax agencies. After that, you can set up your taxes in Shopify to help ensure that you charge the correct rates wherever you sell.
Before you begin setting up taxes in Shopify
You need to determine whether you should charge taxes. If you're not sure, then consult with local tax authorities or a tax professional. If you determine that you need to charge tax on your products, then register with your region's tax authority.
Set up the regions in which you're registered
After you've registered with tax authorities and have your tax number, you can set up your taxes. You only need to perform this task once.
- From the Shopify admin, go to Settings > Taxes.
- In the Tax regions section, beside your region, click Set up.
- In the Sales tax section, click Collect sales tax.
- In Tax number, enter your tax number. If you have applied for a tax number, but don't have one yet, then leave this field blank. You can update it when you receive your number.
- Click Collect tax.
- Optional: To add more regions and account numbers, click Collect sales tax.
After you set up your tax regions, then you can create tax overrides for products where the default tax rates don't apply.