Two-step authentication using an authenticator app
To enable two-step authentication with an authenticator app, you need to install an authenticator app on your mobile device. Recommended mobile devices include the following:
- other mobile devices that use an iOS, Android, or Windows operating system
Before you begin
Install an authenticator app on your mobile device. The app can scan QR codes and retrieve authentication data for you. Recommended authenticator apps include the following:
- Google Authenticator (Android/iPhone)
- Duo Mobile (Android/iPhone)
- Amazon AWS MFA
- Authenticator (Windows/Android/iPhone)
When you install an authenticator app, make sure that you follow its instructions carefully. Shopify support can't help you to install these third-party apps on your mobile devices. After your app is downloaded and set up, you can activate the feature in Shopify.
Activate an authenticator app in Shopify
- From your Shopify admin, click your username and account picture.
Click Manage account > Security.
In the Two-step authentication section, click Turn on two-step.
Select Authenticator app, then click Next.
Configure your authentication app by doing either of the following:
- To use the QR code provided, tap Scan a barcode, and then point your camera at the QR code on your computer screen.
- To use manual entry, tap Enter a provided key, and enter the email address for your Shopify Account. Enter the secret key on your computer screen into the box next to Key, and then tap Add.
Enter your password.
Enter the six-digit code that is generated by your authenticator app, and then click Enable.
Save your recovery codes in case you lose access to your mobile device. Make sure that you store them in a safe location offline that you can access in multiple ways, such as from your mobile device, your desktop computer, and from a printed document.
Now when you try to log in, you require your mobile device for two-step authentication.