Shopify Experts FAQ
Here are some common questions we get asked about Shopify Experts. Read on to see if your question is answered here.
What is a Shopify Expert?
- A hand-selected Partner that has proven to have a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of Shopify
- A Shopify brand ambassador
- A member of an exclusive group trusted by Shopify merchants and employees alike
- Someone who provides a layer of value-added services to merchants that help them become successful.
How do I become an Expert?
You can apply to become a Shopify Expert by filling out the Expert application form. While each Expert specialization has their own eligibility requirements, every applicant must have:
- A Shopify Partner account
- Proven Shopify experience
- The available bandwidth to take on multiple projects right away
- A Shopify-branded landing page on your business website with a Shopify logo or banner and your affiliate link (found in your Partner Dashboard on the Referrals page).
You’ll also need to meet the eligibility requirements for the specific Expert specialization you’re applying for. These requirements include:
Setup Experts focus on setting up and launching functional Shopify stores, as well as migrating stores from other platforms. To become a Setup Expert, you must:
Have at least 5 active stores affiliated with your Partner Account.
Each store will be assessed on functional checkout experience, domain setup, navigation, and the usage of variants and images.
Design Experts focus on building unique, custom Shopify Themes and customizing existing theme templates. To become a Design Expert, you must:
Have at least 5 active stores affiliated with your Partner Account.
Each store must be highly customized, cleanly structured, and demonstrate your experience building custom themes for merchants.
If you are using an existing theme template as a base for your custom theme, you must include the original theme name in your notes and where it was sourced from, along with the changes that you’ve made to the theme.
Development Experts focus on building private Shopify Apps for online businesses and custom integrations using Shopify’s API. To become a Development Expert, you must meet one of following:
- Have at least 5 active stores affiliated with your Partner Account.
Have at least 1 Shopify App or integration published in the Shopify App Store.
Each published Shopify App must have at least 100 installs, a support interaction score of 1.2 or higher, and at least 5 reviews with a minimum score of 4 stars.
Have at least 5 active stores affiliated with your Partner Account that demonstrate experience building a different custom integration for each store using the Shopify API.
You must provide screenshots and/or video tutorials within a document detailing each integration. Your written document must also specify which Shopify APIs were used in each instance. Please provide a link to the API from the Shopify API Reference .
List custom integration services, and include examples of custom integration work, on your company website.
Marketing Experts focus on creating, launching, and optimizing results-driven digital marketing campaigns for online businesses. To become a Marketing Expert, you must:
Have at least 3 active stores affiliated with your Partner Account.
You must provide detailed case studies of the marketing work completed for the 3 stores used within your application.
List digital marketing services (social media, SEO, digital analytics, etc.) as a discipline on your company website.
Photography Experts focus on creating and curating high-quality product and marketing photography for ecommerce businesses. To become a Photography Expert, you must:
- Provide a link to your portfolio of work showcasing examples of product photography projects you’ve completed.
- List photography as a discipline on your company website.
Reach out to your Partner Manager if you have any additional questions regarding the requirements needed to become a Shopify Expert.
What is the approval process like?
You can apply to be a Shopify Expert by creating a profile on Shopify Experts. You must fill out the form completely for it to be reviewed. This means including a full business description, a logo or head shot, and multiple portfolio images.
After you submit the form, the Shopify Experts team will review your submission. If your application is approved, we'll let you know which Expert categories you've been approved for. If your application isn't approved, we'll let you know what steps you need to take to have your application assessed again.
If you’re approved but have not yet met certain requirements, your Expert profile will be unpublished until you fulfill the necessary requirements in your Experts admin:
- Your company logo or professional headshot must be 220 x 220 pixels
- Your 4 screenshots (minimum) are all 1,200 x 1,200 pixels
- Your business site includes Shopify branding. Tell the world you are a Shopify Expert with logos and Experts badges.
When you've met these requirements, contact your Partner Manager to let them know. They will then make your Experts profile visible.
What will cause my Expert account to be unpublished after I've been listed?
- Not responding to merchant inquires in a timely fashion or not at all. Even if you will not be taking on the project, you must respond to the email. See “How do I respond to a request I will turn down or not pursue?” below for more details.
- Not having Shopify branding on your website.
- Extended periods of inactivity within your partner account.
- Refer to our partner terms for additional information.
What's required of an Expert?
As a Shopify Expert, you should:
- Be a brand ambassador for Shopify
- Provide fast lead responses, regardless of whether you’re able to do the work or not
- Deliver top-quality work for clients on time
- Maintain open and honest communication with your clients
- Leave clients feeling like they truly had a high value, positive experience.
How do I respond to a request that I will turn down or not pursue?
Let the merchant know that you are not available for that type of project and recommend a fellow Shopify Expert that they can contact. You can search the Experts marketplace to find a recommendation.
If a lead comes through my Expert profile or a third-party marketplace, is it considered a referral that's eligible for revenue share?
Clients who come to you through our Expert marketplace or a third-party marketplace are not eligible for partner revenue share payments.
Shopify Partners earn revenue share by referring new business to Shopify — make sure you open all new business referrals as development stores through your Partner Dashboard, or by using your affiliate link, so that we can properly attribute them and provide payment. To be paid a 20% monthly recurring revenue share for the merchants you refer, you must create a development store for them. If they sign up through your affiliate link, you will be paid a 200% bounty commission on their subscription plan rate. This bounty will be paid out over the span of two months, with 50% of the total bounty paid each month.
What's the best way to collect project requirements and scope from clients?
Some Experts have created project requirement forms that help speed up store setups. The form gives merchants an idea of what content is required to get their store up and running. One example is the Shopify Content Delivery Toolkit.
What's an Expert testimonial?
An Expert testimonial is a testimonial from a recent Shopify client that directly influences your ranking among other Experts. Request a testimonial through your Expert dashboard under the Testimonial tab. Enter the site URL and it will send a request to the store's account owner.
Where do I log in to my Expert account?
You can log in to your Expert account here.
How are Experts ranked?
Our ranking algorithm gives you a score based on the number of active referrals (fully-launched live stores) under your account, the number of testimonials you have, and your geographic location in relation to the incoming request. Once you have more stores under your belt, your rank will get a bump. This will provide more leads through the Experts Marketplace.
How can I set myself as overbooked?
You can set yourself as overbooked from your Shopify Expert Dashboard at the bottom of the Account Details tab. When set to overbooked, you will not receive any requests.
Is there a badge I can share to let people know I'm an Expert?
Yes — your Expert badges can be found in your Expert Dashboard under the Resources tab.
How do I cancel my Expert account?
Log in to your Expert Dashboard and above the footer, click Cancel my account.